LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Headers and o2 sensors question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headers and o2 sensors question

Alright guys I have pacesetter longtubes y pipe and slp exhaust. I had some issues with the headers before the header bolts came loose and my o2 sensors blew ( the shop ran o2 wires too close to header and melted the wires blowing my o2 sensors) when all that happened my camaro would sit and run and sound like it was camming ( I don't have a cam ) so I got it all fixed ran wires better etc. It seems that it's starting to do it again almost same exact symptoms so I will try tightening header bolts but my question is, is it common for header bolts to come loose so often ? Is there anything I can do to stop them from coming loose again ?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cam95Maro
Alright guys I have pacesetter longtubes y pipe and slp exhaust. I had some issues with the headers before the header bolts came loose and my o2 sensors blew ( the shop ran o2 wires too close to header and melted the wires blowing my o2 sensors) when all that happened my camaro would sit and run and sound like it was camming ( I don't have a cam ) so I got it all fixed ran wires better etc. It seems that it's starting to do it again almost same exact symptoms so I will try tightening header bolts but my question is, is it common for header bolts to come loose so often ? Is there anything I can do to stop them from coming loose again ?
You can try some Stage 8 locking bolts. They are pretty good at not coming out.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sorry I cant remember the name of them.. but there is a company that maks these fasteners, so that when you tighten the header bolts the fastener has a tab that rests against the header, so the bolt cant loosen on you...hope that helps
Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Okay I found the stage 8 bolts. But also is it common for header bolts to do that ? The other thing with the headers will my o2 sensors constAntly blow (( if that's the problem ))
Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Okay I went to chevrolet got them to hook up to machine and test it and my o2 sensors have blown again ... That's two times in 6 months give or take and less than 3000 miles ... WTF what could cause that ?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Manifold bolts will usualy need retorqued after a few heat cycles, yes.
Most peoe report New headers will ruin o2's after their first few heat cycles as some chemicals are released from the metal, specifically ceramic coated ones.. because of this most people wait to change them untill after heat cycling them..
Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ur o2s keep going bad? what kind are you putting in? and were your headers new and coated? maybe the coating ruined the first set and you changed them before you ran the headers long enough and they also ruined the 2nd set?

also it melted all your wiring... did it blow the fuse? or just ruin the o2's? maybe your fuse blew finally and wires werent quite fixed? you check the fuse?

o2 fuse is underhood, cant remember which one it is but it also controls the fans
Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Okay yes my headers are coated and I guess I should drive it some more to get threw the heat cycles and also I took it to Chevrolet so OEM o2 sensors were put it I checked the fuse just now and it is not blown so possibly it's just that try are still new headers I never drive the car I drive far for work and don't want to rack up miles on it maybe I should a couple days and get the chemicals and such out but I do know that this happened after I drove it for a couple hours one day going to a car show so possibly that caused it
Old 08-17-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya id either pull the o2s and run it a little to get all that coating off the inside

Quick Reply: Headers and o2 sensors question