LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cooling issue but not over heating /O2 code question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling issue but not over heating /O2 code question

My 94 z28 is running rly hot at idol or slow traffic driving and the fans arnt kicking in till around 250temp. But if im driving normal or down the Hwy the temp is down towards 180-190(not sure off hard the exact temp). but when the fan do kick in the temp drops way down to 210 till the fans turn off. I changed the coolant and bleed it and replaced the coolant sensor. I think it could just be the fans are turning on way too late? The owner before the one i got the car from tryed to tune it him self from home and played with alot of the settings so im not sure if he made the fans kick on later. Is there a way to default it back to factory?

As for the O2 code. The cat was gutted (not by me) and its not tossing a code. How ever if i drive in 6th for long enough the check light pops and the cooling fans kick on full time till the car turns off. Then the light gos away and its all good. Can this code be tuned out? and what effects other then the fans turning on full time is the light causing?

Im still new to this car so forgive me abit but the engine from what i was told is the Lt1 with the top end swapped from an Lt4.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Bump plz
Old 08-17-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

There is no way to see or change the fan programming without a tuning program.

You say O2 code, but it would be good to specify the exact code number. Anything related to the O2s on your 94 is not something you would want to program out (if you could).
Old 08-17-2011, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
There is no way to see or change the fan programming without a tuning program.

You say O2 code, but it would be good to specify the exact code number. Anything related to the O2s on your 94 is not something you would want to program out (if you could).
I think i forgot to put in, the o2 code for the cat so you can run straight pipe without tossing a code for bad cat. I wasn't sure if you could tune it out or not. Ill see if i cant get ahold of one or maybe just buy one. Any recommendations on them?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Regarding the cooling system, it sounds like you have a 180 stat installed but the fans are still running on the original PCM settings.

Quick Reply: Cooling issue but not over heating /O2 code question