LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What is needed to make this work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ic3MAN

Didnt you already buy a 383 a few months back?
Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a ls1 in there.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes i did buy a 383 lt1 short block a few months back. I have been in contact with the guy from the ad and were going to use my block and hes going to install some 210cc SBC heads and im going with a carburated setup.

And theres a reason i WILL NOT go over the internet for these kinds of things anymore.

I bought a new 4l60e from a sponsor on here that was supposed to be one of the best. Had all kinds of people telling me to go with them that they know there ****. Well the first one blew out in less then 250 miles had to pay shipping to send it back. Then ended up getting another one and guess what. SAME THING.
Then it was hell getting any help and on top of that i had to pay shipping AGAIN and a 15% restocking fee to get my money back.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you had one bad experience (technically 2). That shouldn't ruin your perspective on internet/mail order companies. Like everyone else here said, LE and AI are top-notch. You'd be in much better shape for just building up the LT1. I don't think that you're looking at all the small details. Lots of little odds and ends to buy and install in order for this all to work.
I hope this guy knows you can't just slap SBC heads on an LT1 block.

Have fun. We'll be looking forward to your "HELP ME!" thread in the future.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes i know that sbc heads have a different bolt pattern and i will need to drill new holes at a angle to get them to work.

And its not just 1 bad experience. IT TOOK OVER 8 MONTHS TO GET IT WORKED OUT. Wasted countless hours of my time and my car was down the whole time. they never answered their phone and when they did they always said they needed to talk to the owner and i wouldn't hear from them for a week. then they wanted to send me parts that i needed to install.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

There's more to it then just drilling bolt holes. Lt1s have a reverse coolant system. Sorry to hear about your bad experiance with the trans but I company shouldn't ruin your opinion of others. LE and AI are the best out there for LT1s and all you have to do is look at their track record to see nobody has any issues with using them.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Don't waste your breath. Guy's on a forum to learn things and to teach others...and then refuses to learn. He'll learn the hard way.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will lean the hard way?

like i said before i think i already learned the hard way spending alot of money and time in a transmission that YOU GUYS said was one of the best. TURNS OUT YOU GUYS WERE WRONG. imagine that.

And yes i am in here to learn and just maybe one day i will be able to help out someone out who needs it.

And i'm pretty sure i didn't ask who does the best porting on LT1 heads. I asked what it would take to get the motor in the link to fit my car.

Also just because its not LE or AI doesn't mean its not good. I understand they do good work but there not the only people on the planet that can port a set of heads.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I will give you that the forums often recommend mediocre to downright poor vendors. If you are open minded enough though you can figure out the good from the bad.

Someone above says he is local and knows someone, seems to me you need to talk to him off forum and find out more.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

IC3 MAN, it’s like this:

The original LT1 engine in your car has a low profile intake manifold and a front mounted distributor because half the engine is under the cowl. The distributor has a optical sensor/pickup that the PCM needs. Literally, no other distributor will work with this PCM.

You could purchase and install an old school carbureted SBC but you’ll need to get a distributor to fit under the cowl as well as cut the cowl to clear the carburetor.

You could purchase and install an old school SBC with fuel injection and a low profile ram type intake manifold but you’ll need a new fuel injection computer that’ll work with say the 24XEFI system that’s been discussed here.

Either of these options are not for a novice on a budget-especially the 24X system.

The best advice (which has been given to you a few times here already) is to stay with the original LT1 setup and just get a new engine. Loyd Elliot or Advanced Induction are two highly regarded shops that have provided plenty of LT1 head/intake/cam packages in all kinds of trim levels.

For the short block, it’s very similar to a SBC and any decent engine shop can do the work. Work with them on crank, rods and piston selection. Or consider Golan Engine Services.

Oh, and yes, you’re gonna spend more than three grand.

Tell us more about this transmission please.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

hahah let me guess what transmission company it was. I have a feeling it was the same one i went with originally and had the exact same issues. Only i went through 4 of them!Dont let one shitty transmission company ruin the reputation of other good engine companies out there. Its the new age of the internet and how buisnesses operate and make money. read up on companies and go with whatever you feel comfortable going with.

unfortunataly you cant speak your mind about sponsors here and how they rip people off or produce bad products to help get the word out. since they pay the site you get in trouble and end up getting screwed. it sucks.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ha what more do you want to know about the trans. IT WAS A PIECE OF JUNK!

also i get that everyone likes AI or LE but i have made my choice and will NOT be going through the internet for precision parts anymore.

Also i went and met the guy today and he took measurements and said a low profile intake manifold and carb will fit and also were going to use a very small distributor. but we decided not to use my block were going go use my crank and rods but everything els he will provide. He ownes a machine shop about an hour from me and hes been building racing motors for 30 years.

I really do appreciate all the info from you guys. and i know there must be some good shops online but im not willing to go through all the BS i had to last time. When i found someone local that knows his ****.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

I think we'd like to know who's transmission it was and what level of build it was.

Sponsors here have pretty good reputations because if their stuff was junk, the word spreads. If you don't tell us about them, their good reputation would continue, when maybe it shouldn't. Please spread the word about your experiences with them.

We've all suggested LE or AI for head work because they are known as the best in the business for their competencies, experience and quality level of work. Nobody makes the LT1 engine work like these guys.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

locals will screw you too, i had a diff shop screw up the pinion depth and pre-load 3 times in a row, and they charged me every time for a diagnostic charge $100 to fix what they screwed up. I finally took it to my buddys house and he helped me set pre-load correctly. No matter what you do in life your gonna get screwed it happens. ive had really good luck with almost all online retailers. one question how do you live without summit???
Old 08-23-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay that makes sense paul Bell. normally i don't like to bad mouth anyone but i will make an exception this time because hopefully it will help someone els make their decision easier.

It was performabuilt. it was their level 2 with a 3800 stall from them as well. the trans was supposed to be able to support 700+HP but my BOLT ON camaro broke 2 of them and never seen the dragstrip. The first one lasted all of 200 miles of DAILY DRIVING. i was on my way to work when second gear went out. called them up and they said i would need to send it back (on my dime of course). they got it apart and said the rolling piston went bad and sent me out a new on. THIS TOOK WEEKS to get straightened out.

Then i get the new one and for the first 250 miles everything is fine then all the sudden the trans starts making a very loud ticking. i thought it was a broke flexplate so i put a new one in and same thing. then it started slipping so i called them and left a couple messages. finally got a reply and demanded a refund and they said only the boss can give a refund so i had to wait a couple more days. then he says i have to send it in so they can determine what went wrong. well a couple weeks later they call me and say they will give a refund but there will be a 15% restocking fee.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

That is interesting. While I use a local racing transmission shop, I suppose not everybody is lucky enough to be near one.

Performabuilt seems to have a good rep here although there is the handful of odd issues/complaints. It does look like they take care of people under warranty which most transmission shops won't do unless they do the install into the car.

As you got a refund, I'd say they took care of you even though you returned the unit.

Most mail order trans shops hesitate to warranty units because there's so many variables that's out of their hands.

When it comes to transmissions, I'd always say to find a local race shop OR go to the local track and see what most guys are using. There's always a pattern.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Swapping to a SBC would be a lot of work. With the distributor tucked under the cowl there would be no way to make any adjustments to it. I imagine trying to swap out advance bushings in a distributor under that cowl...no way man. What if you cam gear munched the distributor gear. You would have to yank the engine just to change it.

Just as much work would be an LS1 swap. The end result would be so much better than a SBC, both in adjustability and driveability.

Better yet, go with an LT1. Here are a few, most likely local to you:
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/2529756117.html
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/2519423029.html
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/2506859401.html

Quick Reply: What is needed to make this work?