LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement???

I just replaced my ignition lock cylinder on my 93 Camaro Z28 and the new lock cylinder came with 2 new keys with it. The keys don't have the VATS pellet resistors on it (aka key chip as people call it). With the new lock cylinder replaced, I put the new key in and the car won't start, no crank at all! I'm thinking that I might have to bypass the VATS system just to get the key to work but I don't know what to do quite yet. I even tested the resistance on my factory key and it's not reading the correct ohms for the key pellet codes, so my factory key could be bad also. What would I have to do to get my new keys to works with my car since the keys don't have the pellet resistors for the VATS systems? Do I bypass the system somehow with the new keys or what? What has everyone else done that have probably replaced their ignition lock cylinders with pellet resistorless keys?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

If you measured it right the way on the key and still nothing I would just try a variation of resistors and see which one starts the car.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Do you have more than one factory key you can test? What did you get for a reading? Since your new keys don't have a pellet, you will need to do a resistor bypass under the dash.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key
Old 09-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shbox
Do you have more than one factory key you can test? What did you get for a reading? Since your new keys don't have a pellet, you will need to do a resistor bypass under the dash.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key
I have another set of keys with the pellets in them for my 91 Camaro RS. For my 93 Z28 factory key, I got a constant reading of 1.46 on my multimeter. So I would have to go to RadioShack and get a resistor that is about the same and then do the bypass so I can get my new keys w/ no pellets in them to crank and start my car?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am currently looking to replace my bad ignition lock on my car and stumbled into this almost year old thread.

I believe that the key you received with your new ignition lock was only a template key and will not start the car. You would need to have a key with the correct resistor pallet made using that template key that came with your new ignition lock cylinder.

Hopefully this will help anyone in the future having the same issue.

Last edited by PwrHngryLT1; 07-27-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement???