LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel filter came loose

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel filter came loose

Has anyone else had this happen. I was on the way to work this morning and the gas smell my car puts out was stronger than normal. (my evap system is stopped up)

I got halfway down the highway and look down and I'm on empty and about a half mile later the car starts cutting out. I pull to the closest exit and turned it off.

I look under the car and a puddle was already forming of gas. I call my dad to bring a jack and some gas and when I get under there the lock that keeps the rear of the filter connected to the rubber line came undone. It leaked out almost a whole tank of gas. I'm very lucky the car didn't catch on fire.

Anyone else have this happen? The filter has been on the car since I bought it. We had to disconnect the line the rest of the way and then It just snapped back on. We pulled on it and couldnt get it to leak or come back apart. I'm just running 3 or 4 gallons at a time now for a while until I'm comfortable it doesn't happen again.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's possible it just worked its way loose. They are only nylon and they get the crap beat out of them under the car.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had something similar happen, but not on my Camaro. My wife used to have a Lincoln LS, which uses a similar filter set up. I used to change the filters regularly, and they always came with new plastic clips. About 3 months after I had changed the filter, I get a panic call from her, telling me she's at the side of the road, and gas is leaking out of the car.

I go out for the "rescue", and found the same thing as you did. Somehow the clip had come loose, and the fuel line popped off....
Old 09-05-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of 4 LT1 cars Ive never had it happen before. Just one of those freak things I guess. I think Im gonna change the opti to make sure it dont happen again though.

Quick Reply: Fuel filter came loose