LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

BCM issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default BCM issues

So my radio started randomly turning off, and coming back on. After doing some research I decided to check the BCM, pulled it out, and all of the connections inside look fine. I re-installed the BCM, and now the radio, whether playing the radio, cd, or ipod, sounds like it is cutting in and out very fast. It does not lose power, but the sound quality is pure ****. Also, the horn and running lights quit honking/flashing when I use my keyless remote. The windows have been acting up too. My first thought was that I didn't get the BCM plugged back in all the way. So I pulled it back out, and checked, all of the pin connectors are still in good shape, not bent at all. I plugged it all back in, and still nothing. Has anybody ever experienced this before? Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have taken mine out and re soldered the connections many times trying to fix this issue and I am at the point now that I am ready to either do the radio power by pass mod or just pony up and buy a new one.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

Mine did the same thing before I took it off the road, although I began looking into the issue and I got as far as figuring out that the "cutting in and out" seems to originate with power fluctuation in the amplifier. Do you have a Monsoon system? I forget where the amplifier is but if I had to take a wild guess, it should be somewhere in the vicinity of the passenger rear C-Pillar. I would check power to the unit, and if possible, swap it out with a known good unit to see if the issue goes away.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Amp is located In the rear passenger wheel well. Doubt that the case but worth a shot. Best bet is to look up the BCM repair write up on one of the F-body forums. There are several but one tells you what color wire brings power in to the BCM and Back out to windows and Radio ect. wire a temp test wire to the out going power wire and wire up a small light bulb and you will see if it is a power issue from the BCM or not. Light bulb will react faster then a Volt meter. Only reason I know for a fact mine is the BCM is I have a back lit aftermarket radio bezzel that flickers when I have the problem.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem but my windows and radio quit working. Ive been too busy to pull the BCM and check it out.

Quick Reply: BCM issues