LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

starter pinging flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starter pinging flywheel

Okay I looked around and I cannot find any answer to my problem. So here we go. I bought a re manufactured starter and i installed it and now sometimes it only engages the starter. I had someone else start the car while i was underneath and all i can see is the Bendix hits the flywheel but does not go in. If I turn the flywheel a bit it will slide in no problem. The old starter did not use shims so I did not use any on this one. But I did try shims anyways and it does not help. Not using any shims the mesh is good, so I do not see the need for them especially when the old one did not use either. I have no clue other than this starter is junk.

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 09-11-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

The new starter may not be any good, sounds like its having an issue engaging and the Solenoid maybe weak. As for shimming the starter, the factory book and starter both say DO NOT SHIM. Almost every aftermarket starter i have installed has said the same thing. Do the teeth on the flywheel look good? either the flywheel is messed up or the starter is no good under load. There is a big difference testing a starter on a stand and what it does in the car under a load. Hope this helps
Old 09-11-2011, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Yah it must be a bad starter. It is the same brandthat makes alternators and I never had luck with those. I prolly should have bought a gm starter. The flywheel is in perfect shape. I just think that bendix is not right. All the wiring is good replaced with new cables so solenoid has power. The bendix just hits against the flywheel teeth dead on that's all I can hear and see. When the bendix does align with the flywheel it does disengaged properly. Just a pain if I wanna start it I have the turn the crank a bit so the starter will engage.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you ever figure this issue out?

Quick Reply: starter pinging flywheel