LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Amsoil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasoncabell
When you say conventional, are you referring to synth. or non-syth. Just wanting a little more detail on what you personally run in yours.
Non synthetic. I ran it a few times in the SS, but don't see any use to do so since I like changing my oil faithfully at 3K miles.

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
05hd is who I was directing my comment to.
Yeah well, good luck with that.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ssrrr good luck with what? I asked a direct? About what he uses GTX over mobile 1.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But explain why Amsoil is a waste in your opinion? And why would any true engine builder use gtx over mobil 1? That is the funniest **** I ever heard. Is it because its for high milage you use it?
Don't mind the troll (SS RRRetard).

I use Castrol (regular, not high mileage) in my personal car because it is adequate to get the job done. I don't ask crazy things of my oil like trying to protect the engine at WOT 20 seconds after startup on a 20 degree day or after the oil temp goes thru the roof. That is what Mobil 1 is for, idiots that don't know how to take care of an engine. As for Amsoil, sure, it is great. It is so great it is complete overkill and a waste of money unless you are exploring outer space or something, like SS RRR.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
How many of you have paid the $20 for Used Oil Analysis to back up your beliefs in your chosen oils AND compared the results to other oils?

If you haven't then you are going on exactly what?????????????
Marketing?
You are damned skippy I know exactly what is going on inside each of the engines I take care of and what is best for them.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:06 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

All of the top shelf synthetic oils are great. Some are better than the others but you won't go wrong using any of them. Royal Purple has had some questionable claims and it's way over priced but I'm sure it's still a good oil. I don't know anybody who uses it nor will I ever use it.

Your filter is just as important. Wix, Hastings, K&N are all good filters. Mobil One extended life is probably the best off the shelf filter you'll find. Internally, it's just about identical to the again way over priced RP filter. Stay far away from Fram, Champion, cheep Bosch, etc.

Change your oil & filter when the oil starts turning black on the dip.

DO NOT USE ADDITIVES. Oil makers spend time & money on their formulas. Don't go ruining the oil with an additive you really don't need.

What do I use? German Castrol and Cummins Fleetguard filters.

Last edited by Paul Bell; 09-22-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Those of us who actually research things understand that Champion makes AC Delco filters and those are fine, and that there are a few good oil additives BUT you wont find them at the parts store you have to mailorder them.

Anything with a current API rating will work but some are way overpriced and you could conceivably be better off with generic oil instead.

One of the mentioned racing oils was always known to suck hard on the street it was great for short fill race applications but on the street wore out FAST, the running joke was "shears out of grade pouring from the bottle" meaning the oil was sheared at the molecular level and got very thin fast in street use. I haven't kept up on their current performance so I am not naming names but use such things as motivation to search the Bobistheoilguy forum and find out what actually works in other cars like your's used similarly.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by 05HD
Don't mind the troll (SS RRRetard).

I use Castrol (regular, not high mileage) in my personal car because it is adequate to get the job done. I don't ask crazy things of my oil like trying to protect the engine at WOT 20 seconds after startup on a 20 degree day or after the oil temp goes thru the roof. That is what Mobil 1 is for, idiots that don't know how to take care of an engine. As for Amsoil, sure, it is great. It is so great it is complete overkill and a waste of money unless you are exploring outer space or something, like SS RRR.
Nice. Riveting. Full of technical jargon for everyone to understand. Especially how Mobil 1 is for idiots. Brilliant! Your best work yet!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

O5HD I would be more than nerves if you were taking care of my engine with some of the comments you have. How can any true engine builder or whatever you do, say that Mobile one is for idiots when it has clearly been one of the best oils for many years? The durability of the Sen Mb1 is second to none.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Well the guy I bought my car from has been using pennzoil platinum synthetic 5w30 I have been thinking about switching to the new pennzoil ultra... unless someone has a reason I should use something else...
Old 09-24-2011, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

M1 here. Could be marketing, name brand, or the fact that its been trusted for years. IDK but it just feels like the right stuff.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Should also be noted formulas are always changing. I know 5-6 years ago it was VERY well documented that M1 showed higher than average iron wear in LT1s and that their 10w-30 was thinner than their 5w-30 and 0w-30. So a lot of guys who still swore by it went to 0w-40 or 5w-40 and got a little better result because Lt1s and LS1s showed a preference for a thick 30weight which the M1 40wts acted as once they sheared down a little.

Most oils shear down and get thin with use while some like Amsoil actually oxidize and thicken.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<--- currently running VR-1 synthetic I got for free via $50 mail in rebate.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Clearly you are not an idiot. Good for you!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Free oil, hell you are my hero, I just paid for oil yesterday.

Advance Auto always has some sort of 5quarts+filter specials going on, narrows the field of choices a little.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

O5HD I would be more than nerves if you were taking care of my engine with some of the comments you have. How can any true engine builder or whatever you do, say that Mobile one is for idiots when it has clearly been one of the best oils for many years? The durability of the Sen Mb1 is second to none.
Clearly, my commentary has surpassed your reading comprehension. Can you wrap your head around "idiot proof" instead of "for idiots who don't know how to take care of an engine"?

Originally Posted by SS RRRetard
Nice. Riveting. Full of technical jargon for everyone to understand. Especially how Mobil 1 is for idiots. Brilliant! Your best work yet!
I'm glad you approve. Now stop humping my leg.

Quick Reply: Amsoil?