LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Tuning an Unknown ECU

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning an Unknown ECU

I'm currently in the process of swapping in a LTX into my 1972 Cutlass. The motor came out of another car which was also a swap. I have the ECU and a swap harness, the computer is an OBDI. I have no idea if the ECU was reprogrammed ( I am assuming it is as to eliminate the VATS and Emissions related codes). The motor was running pig rich before I got it, I figure it was the tuning because upon further inspection of the motor it turns out to be an L99. I figure the previous owner had no idea the L99 existed, thought it was an LT1 and had it programmed as one. Even though I told it was an LT1 I'm not upset, I couldn't beat the price. I got the motor, swap harness, and a recently rebuilt 4l60E for free. All I had to do was take the day to pull it out

My question is what would be the best way to get this ECU programmed correctly? I am not afraid of tuning it myself (recent graduate of Mechanical Engineering so computers are my friends ) What programs would you suggest? Is TunerCat still one of the best for OBDI? I have used the search function but all the threads I find are who to use, not any suggestions on what parameters would need to be changed for a situation like mine?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A GM dealership can flash the L99 tune on to it. BUT I would not put that L99 into that car. Go LT1!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
A GM dealership can flash the L99 tune on to it. BUT I would not put that L99 into that car. Go LT1!
Believe me I want an LT1 and thought that it was one, but as a recent college graduate I'm broke, I'm hoping I can sell this one or trade with a salvage yard for a real deal LT1

Quick Reply: Tuning an Unknown ECU