LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new opti suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

lethal bird that is incorrect dynaspark moved shops across town but its still the same people and i hit 8's on there opti.. bob hogan is still making them here is his number 260-746-9441 fyi they build more than just the opti they machine cnc all kinds of tools and parts for companies
Old 11-11-2011, 06:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats wrong with the MSD?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Whats wrong with the MSD?
It provides no measurable advantages over an OEM and it's more expensive. Plus, everyone gets enticed by the "adjustable timing" when in fact it is a completely useless feature without an easy way of measuring exactly what you're adjusting.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The adjust ability causes far more problems than it has potential for gain.
Not to mention to make an honest attempt at using it you would need a keyed hub, degreed damper, and a pointer fabbed up.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lordrazo
lethal bird that is incorrect dynaspark moved shops across town but its still the same people and i hit 8's on there opti.. bob hogan is still making them here is his number 260-746-9441 fyi they build more than just the opti they machine cnc all kinds of tools and parts for companies
Lethal Bird is correct, it is NOT the same people, and it's definitely not the same quality as the original. Dynotech Engineering (Phil Rickard) was the originator. Sold to Erik and Zach in 2006, then to Bob Hogan. All parties just happen to be in Fort Wayne, IN. As you mentioned, Huth Tool should stick to their other machine shop offerings... It is a complete disservice to the entire LTx community to value-engineer a once good product, substitute an inferior sensor, and then try to sell it as if it's the same as the original. Then they try to hide the truth of it all with their security fasteners, and also counting on people not to open up the units & void their lifetime of "free" $60-$100 rebuilds. You're far better off buying a less expensive Opti from Chandler, etc. because you get to keep your cash for the next one - It's the same quality sensor as Dynaspark anyway.

EDIT:
In response to OP, and as others have suggested, I would say an OEM unit is still the best bet for longevity if you can afford it.

Last edited by jb442; 11-13-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone have a link to the chandler opti?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Teching In

here is is... http://chandlermotorsports.com/11040...optispark.html
i purchased the chandler unit. money's tight right now and i drive my car very little anyway, so i'll take the chance.
thank you all for the helpful info!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jb442
Lethal Bird is correct, it is NOT the same people, and it's definitely not the same quality as the original. Dynotech Engineering (Phil Rickard) was the originator. Sold to Erik and Zach in 2006, then to Bob Hogan. All parties just happen to be in Fort Wayne, IN. As you mentioned, Huth Tool should stick to their other machine shop offerings... It is a complete disservice to the entire LTx community to value-engineer a once good product, substitute an inferior sensor, and then try to sell it as if it's the same as the original. Then they try to hide the truth of it all with their security fasteners, and also counting on people not to open up the units & void their lifetime of "free" $60-$100 rebuilds. You're far better off buying a less expensive Opti from Chandler, etc. because you get to keep your cash for the next one - It's the same quality sensor as Dynaspark anyway.

EDIT:
In response to OP, and as others have suggested, I would say an OEM unit is still the best bet for longevity if you can afford it.
This.

Quick Reply: new opti suggestions