LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coil wire arcing... car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coil wire arcing... car won't start

cliff: coil arcing issue, cranks all day. Batt may need to be replaced. What to check?

My car won't start. It stopped running back in March after a second gear pull to near redline, shifted and poof, car shutoff. Had a plug on my IM that was missing. Plugged it and it would not turn on.

Seems the starter was gone, since tested and not working. I've now replaced it. Tore my longblock down and I didn't find the plug that was on the IM anywhere.

Put it all back together, reinstalled with new starter. Car wouldn't start.

-Had a coil wire arcing issue, but my dad made it go away.

-Started once, ran like ****, would not run without giving it gas, bunch of explosions.

-Played around with some stuff, primed engine again and coil arcing issues returned. I have a vid, but I can't post it right now, since I'm at work.

The spark goes from to the coil itself, where the wire connects to.

-Checked firing order, and readjusted my valves.

Still haven't addressed the coil issue, any other ideas?

Also, my Optima redtop may be dead, since I didn't trickel charge it during this whole time. I charged it, but when I was done the batt was hissing and venting. Turns out I can't use a conventional charger on optimas.

Car cranks, does not turnover.

Just looking for direction, advise on how to go forth.

Last edited by Torque Fiend; 11-22-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fix the issues you know about first, a coil>opti wire is cheap, just get a new one.

once that is fixed try to track down any other issues such as checking to see if you have spark at the plugs, fuel is getting delivered... etc etc...
Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Replace the coil wire. Mine did the same thing years ago. It would run fine for a day or 2 then not start.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your post is rather confusing and doesn't lend much opportunity for us to help.

Coil arcing issue, but your "dad made it go away?" What's that about? What did he do?

What exactly did you do when you "played around with some stuff?"

Plug on your IM? What do you mean? If the ignition module isn't plugged in it won't start.

"Cranking" and "turning over" are the same thing. Are you saying the motor spins but does not attempt to start? If this is the case, you also say it started once and ran like ****. So which is it?

Just trying to clear some stuff up because right now it sounds like you're having a conversation with someone who knows exactly what you've done to your car. Clarity is your friend here.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Your post is rather confusing and doesn't lend much opportunity for us to help.

Coil arcing issue, but your "dad made it go away?" What's that about? What did he do?

What exactly did you do when you "played around with some stuff?"

Plug on your IM? What do you mean? If the ignition module isn't plugged in it won't start.

"Cranking" and "turning over" are the same thing. Are you saying the motor spins but does not attempt to start? If this is the case, you also say it started once and ran like ****. So which is it?

Just trying to clear some stuff up because right now it sounds like you're having a conversation with someone who knows exactly what you've done to your car. Clarity is your friend here.

Yeah, I figured.

I relocated my MAP sensor to the back and plugged the hole on the IM (stock location).

That plug got sucked in or out, I don't know where it went. That is why my car shut off, but I don't know what kept it from starting when I plugged the whole.

My starter was tested at home and autozone, it did not work. It's been replaced.

In searching for the plug, I tore down the engine. I have reinstalled it.

The car turned on once and ran really bad, after my dad unplugged, and plugged back in the coil wire that was arcing. My dad shut it off, it did not turn on again after that.

Because it ran so bad and did not want to fire back up, my dad wanted to adjust the rockers again. He took out the coil wire again, and had me turn the motor over using the key, as if I was trying to turn it on.

The coil wire was plugged back in, but we could not get it to stop arcing this time.

I have checked the firing order, and the wires are all plugged correctly.

I just replaced the MSD coil wire with a new Duralast one, for the time being.

It is also arcing. I pushed the wire it and it snapped in. It seems it's plugged in properly. What can I do?
Old 11-24-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why did you relocate your MAP sensor?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When these cars are running i remember a blue hugh coming from the coil...is this maybe what u are talking about? I will have to raise my hood and check again. Something is very strange about this post, hard to follow whats been done or why its been done!

Quick Reply: Coil wire arcing... car won't start