LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Catch cans or Breather cans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Catch cans or Breather cans?

Who is running one or both? I have the PCV system intact with an air compressor air separator inline between the inlet from under the intake to the line into the intake manifold, but in place of the "fresh-air" intake from the TB, which just puts oil into the TB, I was using breather filters in place to vent the crankcase at WOT.

However, I kept getting oil mist and leakage from the filters, so I've now decided to run sealed hoses from each valve cover to a 'T', then down to a breather can with filter. Everytime I drive the car I have a few oz of what seems to be a yellowish-clear E85/water mix, occasional oil particles mixed in after some WOT driving. Over about 1000mi I now have 2/3 of a 32oz Gatorade bottle full from collecting what came out of the can. I assume otherwise this was staying in my oil...not good. Anyone else running a catch can and/or breather can and see similar results? Also what is the best place to locate a breather can, I was thinking up high for the vapors to rise to, then fall back down into the can?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would not run it to the intake. here is how we ran ours.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, that is basically how mine is setup, just that it is on the driver's side where the CAI filter would ordinarily go, I am running Ramair, so I have an empty space there. What I have running to the intake is the stock PCV vacuum line that goes from the stock PCV valve in the intake, to the inlet under the TB. This way at cruise and low RPM it still pulls the gasses out of the crankcase and fresh air enters via the breather can filter. I have a small air compressor water/air separator there, but it appears to still allow some oil through, so I may tap an actual catch can to that line.

I just wanted to make sure my current breather tube setup is ok, and compare to others.

Quick Reply: Catch cans or Breather cans?