LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ugh name this noise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugh name this noise.

Well my coolant system is fine and everything else looks good. I've changed the plug wires and decided I would take a vid and see what you guys think this noise is.
thanks

EDIT: the popping noise.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

I believe it's what they call a "running car". It happens when you turn the car on.

jk, but in all seriousness I can't really make out much of anything with this video. :/ Can you hear the noise from further away? If so take another video from a further distance and you might be able to get better quality audio.

I hope someone else comes in that can figure it out!

Edit: Wait do you mean the tapping noise that happens sporadically? I thought that was distortion from the microphone...is that what you mean though?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

since you just did headers im assuming an exhaust leak.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Need more details. Take it for a drive with the windows open and find a stretch of road with walls on either side. Give the car some throttle under 1,500 RPM in a high gear and listen for hissing while under load. That will give away any possible leaks.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

haha yeah I meant the random tapping noise (and it sounds like distortion). I drove it today for the first time and I'm thinking the exhaust is loose somewhere and causing it to leak. The SES light didn't go off at all and I drove it a lot. I'm going to get under the car tomorrow just wanted to see if you guys hear anything out of the ordinary
Old 12-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

In that case I am going to go with exhaust leak. Honestly doesn't seem to be anything to worry about based on the video and description. And odds are if you can't hear or "feel" it from above there isn't much of a chance it is internal.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

You can easily tell if it's an exhaust leak by putting car in high gear while going slow and accelerating. If noise becomes louder then most likely it's an exhaust leak.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the way I check for exhaust leaks. Let the engine cool down so the exhaust is cool to the touch. Start the engine and quickly and safely start feeling around the header flange for exhaust leaks. If you do not find any then next have the car up on stands so you can get under it and feel around. Wait until the exhaust pipes up at the flange are cool to touch again. This will allow you the most working time under the car to be able to touch them with out leaving skin on them. Start the car after cool down and again quickly and safely get under the car and start feeling around for exhaust leaks. One place to check is in between and around the 4 pipes where they go into the collector. Another is at the slip fit joint. I had an improperly welded header and the leak was smack dab in the middle of the collector where all 4 pipes go into it. Sounded just like a rod knock and would slowly go away after the exhaust got hot and all the pipes would expand but it took me a while to find it.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Teching In

who bolted your exhaust on? sounds like you could just have a pipe rattling against something underneath, this exhaust makes some pretty weird bends
Old 12-06-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its worse than an exhaust leak, I drove it about 40 miles (city) driving today and it ran absolutely terrible. No power..especially 3000 rpms and above. The idle was rough and cruising it surged. Under load the car sounded bad. It only started doing this recently..the first day after changing my plug wires and installing the headers it ran perfect. Now its a pain in the *** to drive. I'm thinking o2 sensors but it seems like it could be a million different things. I replaced the plug wires, ignition coil, and spark plugs. I am stumped.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well even if there is an exhaust leak there is no way it is causing to run the way it does. It runs absolutely terrible. It has no power, and above 3000 rpms it just gets worse and sounds even worse. Under load the car just bogs down. It idles rough and is just a pain in the *** to drive. I've replace the coil, plug wires, and spark plugs and same thing. This car is pissing me off.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

What did you do about the emission connections on the back of the intake manifold?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I made block off plates and blocked them off, I checked them once but maybe its loose now. However my idle isn't too high, its the right speed, but its kinda lopey...like cam lope, but the car isn't cammed.
Due to a shortage in money I don't have much to work with, which is why I'm constantly asking questions I want to make sure I don't spend money on parts that won't fix my problem. I feel as though my next culprit is going to be my o2 sensors. BUT..the reason I have been putting them off is because right after the header install the car ran awesome without the heated sensors. This problem just kinda came out of no where. I also don't have an SES light, which makes me wonder, would the car jumping in and out of closed loop cause the sensor to go bad and then cause the car to run like this?
I know it needs heated o2 sensors, but I want to get the car running like it did before, and maybe it's something else.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only thing I can think of that noise is besides camera distortion would be an HEI spark jumping a big gap. AKA, you burned one or more plug wires on the headers or maybe one of the new plugs is cracked (parts store idiot dropped them?)
Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

plug wires have about 10 miles on them and I took great care of making sure they aren't touching the headers...and I checked them after driving today. Coil is also new. Maybe its the plugs...I'm thinking of trying new plugs but I'm still kind of leaning towards bad o2 sensors...do you know if the o2 sensors jumping in and out of closed loop would cause the sensor to fail?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure if the 93s are the same, but I ran my car in open loop for a while until my o2 extension came in. It ran fine. I've also had my o2s go bad in one of my old cars and it would run horrible when it went into closed loop. Unplugged the sensors and it ran fine. You could try that and see how it runs in closed loop. I have no idea on the sound though.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

well the sound is what it sounded like when my plug wires were bad, after I changed them it sounded a lot better. So it makes me believe its something to do with the ignition system or the o2 sensors. I'll try unplugging them tomorrow and seeing what happens.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't quote me on this...

Apparently, coated headers can foul your O2's after some miles are put on. Are they ceramic coated?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

you know I've thought about it and I feel like they might be. They are ebay stainless headers, and I know they don't come coated...but when I started running them I kinda got this smell like something was burning, and a light white smoke. The headers are also changining colors. I don't know if its ceramic coating, but maybe some sort of coating that eventuallly caused my sensors to go bad?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should check for codes using a paperclip since its a 93. I didn't think of that before, then you won't have to go through the trouble of unplugging the o2 sensors.

Quick Reply: Ugh name this noise.