LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ebay fabbed valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Ebay fabbed valve covers?

So I was looking on flea bay at valve covers and I came across these nice looking fabbed valve covers almost identical to the Canton ones which are double the price. Any body running these? Any leaks or fitment issues?

NON-SPONSOR.com.org.gov.net

I asked the seller if they make a F-body version with the alternator notch built in....THEY DO! They just aren't listed....$99.95. Seems like a good deal but I want to find out if anybody has had any problems first.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been tempted, but some stay they are a bi%&H to get to seal.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^this, i was going to order there ls style but i heard way to many people having issues with leaks and crap,they look nice though
Old 12-09-2011, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

These are the exact same version i have.I have zero leaks at all. As long as you know how to install valve cover gaskets you should be fine. Also on a side note i had cantons before these and have heard of sealing issues with those as well and i had zero issues with them. Just keep in mind you need to have an oil cap tig welded on or some other type of push-in oil fill cap. And pcv if you have it still. I do not!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93QWKZEE
These are the exact same version i have.I have zero leaks at all. As long as you know how to install valve cover gaskets you should be fine. Also on a side note i had cantons before these and have heard of sealing issues with those as well and i had zero issues with them. Just keep in mind you need to have an oil cap tig welded on or some other type of push-in oil fill cap. And pcv if you have it still. I do not!
do they have a notch for the ALT..or did you modify yours?? want to know I'm willing to take a 84 dollar risk..
Old 12-09-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93QWKZEE
Damn...just noticed your right...no oil cap hole; that sucks, guess that's why the cantons cost more. I have no idea how much it costs to get something like that welded, seems like a pain in the ***. Guess I'm gonna stick with my ugly *** stock ones for sleeper "stock" look Over $200 seems a bit much for some valve covers. I had the other cheap polished chrome looking ebay valve covers, but they look like *** now and the rockers are hitting them. Does nobody sell a decent set of TALL valve covers for less than the cantons (with the alternator notch)?

Originally Posted by jlpz
do they have a notch for the ALT..or did you modify yours?? want to know I'm willing to take a 84 dollar risk..
Dude...re-read my original post...like I said, this shop sells them with the notch already made....it's $15 extra....$99.95. This is coming straight from the seller. They do not have those listed on ebay however.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
I think I paid $75 and the guys at my shop sent the passenger side cover out to get modified (cut & re-welded) to fit the alternator, and to add two holes one for a valve breather and another for an oil cap. If they now sell ones notched (enough) for clear the alternator then having someone punch out and fit a valve breather shouldn't be too much.
Good to hear from somebody with firsthand experience...how much did it cost to get the holes added for a oil cap/valve breather? I also just sent them a message on ebay asking if they can make a version with the holes already added; never hurts to ask.

FYI...The seller just replied about the holes: "I cant do it here, but you could have it done once you got it. We have just had too many issues in the past where people werenot satisfied the placement..etc."

I guess I could call a couple machine shops and see what they say as far as cost on this.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

^this is the reason i got these covers so i can place everything where i liked it. I got -AN weld on bungs for a catch can setup and a weld on oil cap and just drilled the holes out myself. I have a friend that tig welds so im not sure how much that would cost for you. And I dont have them notched because i have the speedinc kit.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

A push in rubber oil cap and a properly sized holesaw will work without the need for a machinist ..
Old 12-09-2011, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Somebody here on tech pointed these out me. not sure if these are from the same seller, but they look good and have the caps and holes already drilled. I was gonna order them here next month.

http://www.abad71camaro.com/servlet/...t-Valve/Detail
Old 12-09-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LVZ2881
Somebody here on tech pointed these out me. not sure if these are from the same seller, but they look good and have the caps and holes already drilled. I was gonna order them here next month.

http://www.abad71camaro.com/servlet/...t-Valve/Detail
Those are like the set I had....unfortunately, they are the short valve covers; maybe my rockers are bigger than most (comp cams pro magnums?) because they were hitting the top of the valve cover; which is odd because they don't on the stock ones Looks like the only "tall" valve covers are these and the cantons....correct me if wrong.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran those for a while.
They sealed great.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

This is what i run, with only small cutting on the alternator

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 12-11-2011, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

i gotta set of the tall fabbed ones from ebay and they are great, look and seal great too! couldn't be happier!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:03 PM
12 Second Club

Can someone post a link up here? Dont think it should be a problem since its ebay

Quick Reply: Ebay fabbed valve covers?