LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What Rockers??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go SA. Just make sure he understands the difference in rocker arms vs ROLLER rockers.(I made this mistake once). Roller rockers reduce friction more and cost more; that said, there are some cheap ($170) Proform roller rockers on ebay just search "lt1 rockers"..."good" ones (lunati, comp, crane, ect) are about double that price. Something to keep in mind, the Comp pro magnums come with a LIFETIME warranty; it's nice to know they stand behind the product.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yer bud is stepping up to the 306 cam, so there is a bit more stress the springs and rockers will go through. The valvetrain, which is always under load, will have some flexing going on and will worsen (load) the higher the rpm, based on whatever seat pressure u have and valve springs . This flexing is not always good. It will invite improper timing and a load of other issues: ie...spring failure/rocker stud/rocker failure due to valves bouncing off the seats. Given this, it's always a good idea to improve the strength of the valvetrain by stepping up to larger diameter studs, quality rollerized heavy duty roller rockers with h/d trunions with guide plates and stronger pushrods for insurance. SA rockers are good units but do have limited high rpm capabilities.....some of us know this because of broken valve springs/ rocker arms...hehehe So given the above, either rocker will work, just depends how high yer willing to rev the old LT-1 in search for more power up top....
Old 12-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

its for my cousin cause hes doing it right now..imma do the same but im saving up and will take time..and imma go with NSA for myself...my goal is to build up with LE2 ect..hes just doing the CC503 cam and thats it so im trying to help him out and gain knowledge for myself as well...do they sell valve train kits with out camshhafts? and yeah i hear the comp pro magnums are good
Old 12-14-2011, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

503 work well with SA rockers then....provided he has enough spring pressure at the seat to keep contact! Shifting shy of 7,000 rpm can test even the better parts...until...

well...do they sell valve train kits with out camshhafts? [/QUOTE]

I havent seen a complete valvetrain set but getting a hold of CC and they can recommend a list for everything u need if yer unsure of what to get. Otherwise, I sure most people here r willing to guide u in the right direction...

Quick Reply: What Rockers??