LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Pan Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Leak?

I have a 383 LT1 with a Canton Oil Pan (242T). I have changed the gasket twice and it is till leaking oil. The gasket is a Felpro and I put RTV on the ends where the gasket meets the block, not where the gasket meets the pan. I can't seem to get rid of the leak. Looks like it is coming from between the gasket and pan not the gasket and block ( where it has RTV) but not sure. Should I get a different oil pan? Could it be front or rear crank seal, how can I tell?
Old 12-31-2011, 06:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by originalsilverz28
I have a 383 LT1 with a Canton Oil Pan (242T). I have changed the gasket twice and it is till leaking oil. The gasket is a Felpro and I put RTV on the ends where the gasket meets the block, not where the gasket meets the pan. I can't seem to get rid of the leak. Looks like it is coming from between the gasket and pan not the gasket and block ( where it has RTV) but not sure. Should I get a different oil pan? Could it be front or rear crank seal, how can I tell?
Like any fluid, oil will run "downhill". So, it's possible that something else above the oil pan rail is leaking, and finding it's way "down" and showing on the oil pan.

My recommendation would be to give the engine a quik bath with Simple Green and low water pressure to rinse it off. Try not to get the Opti wet, then drive around a litle, and see if the oil path can be seen more clearly.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

some have better luck than others on sealing aftermarket pans. Putting RTV all around on both sides of gaskets seems to fix the ones that leak...but removal after that is harder.

confirming source of leak as advised is what you want to do. Oil dye and a blacklight can help that.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A trick I've used in the past on my engines is to slightly loosen all of the pan bolts then let the pan drop very slightly and take silicone and spread it push it between the edges of the pan all the way around then tighten all the bolts. Then use your finger to smooth the silicone all around the pan and let it sit overnight, I've never had one leak after that.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. The oil is definitely leaking from the oil pan. I think I will try RTV on both sides I'd the gasket. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Leak?