LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Timing Chain cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Timing Chain cover

hey i have oil leaking from the timing chain cover or opti or waterpump drive or somewhere in the front assembly is it possible to get the cover off without dropping the oil pan all the way and loosening the front few bolts if so is it worth it or should i just drop the pan and do the oil pan gasket too.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible to change all the seals in the timing cover without removing it. The mounting boss for the WP seal has a notch in it to aid in removing the seal. When installing the WP seal you need a guide so the seal slides over the drive without damaging it. If you need to remove the timing cover for a gasket change you need to remove the bolts from the oil pan from the front working to the rear until the front of the pan drops enough to remove the timing cover. The timing cover has 4 alignment pins so it needs to come straight off. If you have a oil cooler the hard lines are going to be in the way of removing the oil pan bolts on the drivers side. With any luck your leak will be obvious after you get the WP or opti out of the way.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did you use for a guide on the WP seal? i had it apart down to the timing chain cover itself. and i thought it was leaking put a ratchet on the timing chain cover bolts and they were loose so i torqued them down thinking it would re seal but it didnt so i dont know where it is leaking from so i just want to do all gaskets seals and o rings while i have it apart
Old 01-06-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckless95z
what did you use for a guide on the WP seal? ...
http://www.impalasuperstore.com/nais...TOPIC_ID=30984
Old 01-06-2012, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ There you go. I've heard a Sharpie pen will work, try a search on that, lots of posts. I made a guide on a lathe at my work.
The link Shoebox provided spells it out. I didn't see it but I would recommend lubing the WP coupling splines with a nice moly grease to prevent wear of the coupling splines in operation. The o-rings are there to keep the lube in the coupling.

Last edited by guppymech; 01-07-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain cover