LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I Need Alot of help ASAP.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Alot of help ASAP.

Hello I'm new to thus forum but have been reading it for awhile. I just recently after 8 years of wishing finally got my dream car 1996 Impala. I fell in love with the car when I first drove it at 15. Well I bought the car for a good price and when I bought the man said the engine top had been rebuilt last week but the lifters were bad. After letting a few backyard mechanics and seeing youtube I think it's a knocking rod. Now here's the dillema I'm just going to do a rebuild haha not me but anyways I found a lt4 engine with heads for 400 bucks. The guy said It came out of a 1995 Z28 Camaro that had a dashboard fire the miles are unknown he removed it over 8 yrs ago it's been in stored in a sea container. Now I have 2 options should I rebuild my engine with forged pistons and aluminum heads or should I get the aluminum block and get it ported and polish and inspected for quality? Also Im on a budget of 2000 so I can have money for new tires and life. Please I need all the help making me crazy can't get off my mind. Need help ASAP wanna have done ASAP.

Thank You for the help
Old 02-09-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS Mike707
Hello I'm new to thus forum but have been reading it for awhile. I just recently after 8 years of wishing finally got my dream car 1996 Impala. I fell in love with the car when I first drove it at 15. Well I bought the car for a good price and when I bought the man said the engine top had been rebuilt last week but the lifters were bad. After letting a few backyard mechanics and seeing youtube I think it's a knocking rod. Now here's the dillema I'm just going to do a rebuild haha not me but anyways I found a lt4 engine with heads for 400 bucks. The guy said It came out of a 1995 Z28 Camaro that had a dashboard fire the miles are unknown he removed it over 8 yrs ago it's been in stored in a sea container. Now I have 2 options should I rebuild my engine with forged pistons and aluminum heads or should I get the aluminum block and get it ported and polish and inspected for quality? Also Im on a budget of 2000 so I can have money for new tires and life. Please I need all the help making me crazy can't get off my mind. Need help ASAP wanna have done ASAP.

Thank You for the help

Not trying to be an ******* but you fell for the built top end story on the Impala, don't fall for the LT4 story. Your cast iron heads flow better than the stock aluminum. spend some time on your current motor and get in running right. And all factory LT1's and LT4's are iron blocks. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would keep looking for another donor motor, or rebuild the one you have. LT4s did not come in 95 Z28s, so unless someone swapped the motor in before it got pulled out 8 years ago, its not an LT4. $2000 may or may not build you a bottom end with forged pistons, especially if you are paying a shop to do it. If you aren't planning to put an aftermarket cam in the car, or use any sort of forced induction, a factory bottom end will be your best route, and will be much cheaper too.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A few flawed thoughts here for the LT1 world:

1) A complete "legit" LT4 for $400

2) Aluminum block

3) $2000 budget for a forged rebuild by someone else

Congrats on the purchase of your dream car and welcome to the LT1 family.

I'd have to suggest rebuilding the motor in it if it is salvagable. Forged rods and pistons are gonna be a good choice but close 40% of the budget. Machine work is 25%-30%. That does not leave but about 35% for everything else. No money there for purchasing other parts like the other motor, which is a crap shoot anyhow. More money and thought into this project looks like the path for now.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would get the casting numbers off the Supposed LT4 and run them. If it is an lt4 and its not froze up, for 400 bucks i would pick it up for that and keep it. For that price and the heads are legit i would go for it anyways, there could be an investment there or a keeper.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

You can rebuild your motor for under 2k. Also, you don't "need" forged material. If you want, you can use a cast crank and rods with forged pistons. The block isn't aluminum as stated earlier. Don't waste your time and money on the LT4 block, if that is what it is. That 400 will turn into 2,000 in no time. You can build a solid 2 bolt block with the one you have. Take some time, do a little more research. Don't be like me, I cut corners on my first build cause I wanted to drive right now, my motor lasted about 4 months and the price for a rebuild the right way was way out of my budget...the car set for another year as I saved money. I said all that to say this, take your time, do it right. It's worth it. Congrats on picking up your dream car
Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Before you go and **** away a lot of good money on junk you will be better off to buy a junkyard engine or one a stocker from a fellow enthusiast who built a performance engine and has the stocker laying around.

Buying inexpensive aftermarket parts is the quickest way to spend a lot of money building something WEAKER than stock.

At this stage you are nowhere near ready to make good decisions on what parts to buy so just keep it stock.

Far as the "LT4" if it is then for $400 snap it up and sell off the bits at a big profit. The LT4 is awesome in benchracing land but would be a very poor choice for your situation. The head casting numbers can be checked to verify.

Little perspective for you, the b-body motor makes 330tq at 2400rpm on 87 octane, the LT4 makes 340tq at I believe 4500rpm on 91 octane. A reprogram and basic boltons will have the b-body motor making more torque a LOT sooner which is what is appropriate for a big heavy car like this geared as they are.

I would strongly discourage any performance mods for a year or so till you get a feel for the car and can spend some time researching things. Many of us wasted a lot of money on bad parts when we first started modding, if you are patient and figure out who is worth listening to then we can help you avoid wasting money.