LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

doing an electric wp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default doing an electric wp?

What power source does everyone use for power? I was also wondering if any what hp people gained from an electric w/p..i was thinking it cant be more then 2 or 3 tops.if any.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

A relay is pretty much a "must do" with a EWP... Read through this thread for the wiring...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...-wiring-q.html
Should answer most if not all of your wiring questions.

From what I have seen the gain has statistically been around 7-12whp on average. There are dyno graphs and more information about this topic which can be yielded with the search function.

Hope that helps ya.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:43 AM
12 Second Club

Here is how I ran mine.

I have it run through a 25A Relay.
- the POWER for the relay is fed from my junction box.
- the TRIGGER for the relay has been spliced into my fuel pump harness from the ECM. (when I turn the key ON, the water pump will turn on with the fuel pump for 2 seconds, then turn off. When I start the car it runs with the fuel pump)
- the GROUND is grounded to my chassis in the engine bay.

I have another POWER wire that runs from my junction box to a switch in my ashtray, then from the switch to the power wire of the EWP so that I can turn the EWP on with the key off and cool the engine down in between runs without draining my battery...I did the same for my fans.

When you do this, MAKE SURE you have a GOOD, SOLID ground and I recommend getting an LED so that if your EWP loses power for ANY reason, the LED will turn ON and you will know before it is too late! I DID NOT have this and my EWP lost its ground...I didnt notice until I looked down and saw my temp gauge at about 230 and rising! I shut the car off, found the problem and fixed it...been fine ever since. I watch my temp gauge like a HAWK now but with the new 383 build I am doing, I am going to install the LED for extra insurance.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got mine run off the AIR pump circuit. It involved soldering in a resistor, but everything works just fine, and if the WP ever goes bead it kicks the Engine light for a bad AIR pump....as well as the fuse for it. If you do a search it'll come up, and there was a decent link attached to it. Good Luck
Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im gonna be buying a relay from summit for mine too. Couldnt figure it out using the AIR one, and im not good with auto wiring.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
Here is how I ran mine.

I have it run through a 25A Relay.
- the POWER for the relay is fed from my junction box.
- the TRIGGER for the relay has been spliced into my fuel pump harness from the ECM. (when I turn the key ON, the water pump will turn on with the fuel pump for 2 seconds, then turn off. When I start the car it runs with the fuel pump)
- the GROUND is grounded to my chassis in the engine bay.
I have mine wired like this more or less. Bottom line is you must run a fuse on the power wire and you need to turn that power on by a relay. Then make sure you have good grounds.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

I ran mine the same as above... using the ign to trigger it on, used a painless wiring kit, money well spent.

Quick Reply: doing an electric wp?