LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Please explain this picture

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please explain this picture

Just wondering whats up with the crank pulley and why theres a smaller one thats actually being used.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a under drive pulley.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ yep.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Thank you, that was my guess, but I didnt realize people did that with these... I keep finding new things on this car everyday...
Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by notsue
Thank you, that was my guess, but I didnt realize people did that with these... I keep finding new things on this car everyday...
ha ur just hitting the very tip of the ice berg
Old 02-22-2012, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Take off the big pulley there is no use for it anymore, just adding rotational mass. I have the same thing but I dont get why the hell someone left the stock pully on the outside...
Old 02-22-2012, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Anyone know why it has two belt grooves?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

The underdrive pulley has no harmonic dampener built into it like the stock pulley does. Removing the stock pulley is a bad idea
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

^^ yep
Old 02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

I will more than likely just return it to stock. I'm not really that interested in whatever minor gains I may be getting from it.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats not a bad idea but it's not hurting anything I don't believe
Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Sometimes when I'm at idle, my volt meter shows pretty low... and if I have my blinker on it blinks really slow... figured this might have something to do with the alternator. When I'm driving it reads normal, and its not low everytime at idle, but I had been wondering what would make it low ever...
Old 02-22-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

i would pull the under drive pulley off and put it back to stock if it was my car
Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

I have plans to remove the intake and clean it, when I get around to that, I'll go head and remove the under drive pulley and replace it with the stock one. I also plan on taking care of that leaky timing cover, I already feel I know whats causing it... I found an air foil in the TB and removed that, I'm waiting on a new elbow because mine is covered in silicone and still has visible holes... slowly taking her apart and cleaning her up to see what she does by herself... if things are good then heads and cam here I come If things dont look good, then we'll build a motor on the side and put it in when this thing goes.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Take off the stock pulley, Ive run a lightweight aluminum underdrive pulley for the past 4 years and not had a single problem, and I spin my motor to 6100 rpm. Ditch the stocker, use the underdrive, it revs noticeably faster without that giant hunk of metal hanging off the front.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sometimes when I'm at idle, my volt meter shows pretty low... and if I have my blinker on it blinks really slow... figured this might have something to do with the alternator. When I'm driving it reads normal, and its not low everytime at idle, but I had been wondering what would make it low ever...
It has everything to do with the U/D pulley. Your battery will be dead w/in a few months if that keeps up. Only way to run a U/D pulley and not kill the battery is never drive in stop/go conditions or run and overdrive pulley on the alternator.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

I have plans to remove the intake and clean it, when I get around to that, I'll go head and remove the under drive pulley and replace it with the stock one. I also plan on taking care of that leaky timing cover, I already feel I know whats causing it... I found an air foil in the TB and removed that, I'm waiting on a new elbow because mine is covered in silicone and still has visible holes... slowly taking her apart and cleaning her up to see what she does by herself... if things are good then heads and cam here I come If things dont look good, then we'll build a motor on the side and put it in when this thing goes.
did you buy the elbo already. i have a nice one im not using
Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It has everything to do with the U/D pulley. Your battery will be dead w/in a few months if that keeps up. Only way to run a U/D pulley and not kill the battery is never drive in stop/go conditions or run and overdrive pulley on the alternator.
Dude this is totally false. Like I said, Ive been running a small underdrive pulley and never changed my alternator pulley and I have NEVER EVER EVER had a problem. Your battery is not going to ******* die. Take off the damn stock pulley and run just the underdrive, and it will be FINE.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Take off the stock pulley, Ive run a lightweight aluminum underdrive pulley for the past 4 years and not had a single problem, and I spin my motor to 6100 rpm. Ditch the stocker, use the underdrive, it revs noticeably faster without that giant hunk of metal hanging off the front.
I have to respectfully disagree with this. The stock dampener is vital for the long term reliability of the engine but more specifically, the crankshaft by helping to absorb the normal fatiguing resonance that occurs each time a cylinder fires. These resonance might start to degrade the crankshaft over time as well as the main bearings under certain conditions.

This is a vital part for engine longevity because GM spent X amount of dollars to put it on the engine. If it were really not needed, it would not have come on the engine from GM.

I suggest that the OP keep it as is or simply remove the piggyback pulley and use the OEM piece. If he is still wanting to reduce mass and still have the functionality of the crank dampener, then look into the ASP underdrive dampener which is much lighter than stock and much cleaner in appearance.

Above all I think there are very little gains to be had by using either type of underdrive pulley or dampener.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Dude this is totally false. Like I said, Ive been running a small underdrive pulley and never changed my alternator pulley and I have NEVER EVER EVER had a problem. Your battery is not going to ******* die. Take off the damn stock pulley and run just the underdrive, and it will be FINE.
Interesting. Mine ******* died six months after putting the pulley on. When the U/D pulley was first introduced there were all kinds of complaints from people of their batteries ******* dying. March did not make an O/D pulley, until they started receiving complaints about batteries ******* dying.
It does depend on your driving habits. If you drive in stop/go conditions where there is not enough voltage to properly charge the battery then the battery is going to eventually ******* die. M6 cars did not have a battery ******* dying problem as much as the autos had a battery ******* dying problem.

Quick Reply: Please explain this picture