LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Help identify engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identify engine

OK, this may be a LOOONGGG shot but my head gaskets went out. I am going to either do a rebuild or buy another engine.

I found an LT1 from a vette that was rebuilt by Street & Performance in Arkansas a few years ago and never installed in a car. Its been sitting for 5 years. The current owner knows no specs on the rebuild. From the pictures below it looks like its in good condition. The head looks to be un ported based off the casting lines. my big worry is the cam. Is their any way to identify a cam that has been installed? He does have the ECM and says its tuned for the engine, but I don't know if its odbI or II. SO I figure I would have to get mine tuned ( which I was going to do anyway ).

Would all this be worth the trouble or should I just do a rebuild on the current block?

Old 03-08-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You can look up the service number of the PCM to see what OBD type it is. You also might be able to call S&P and give thme some of those numbers I see on the end of the heads for ID purposes.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would need to swap out the cam to tune it properly since it's a "mystery cam". There's no way to check it without removing it anyway.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just get a degree wheel and run the numbers or pull the back cam plug.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it has the early spline drive timing cover on it so I'd imagine it was planned for an OBD1 car. I also see the later version IAC motor so I'd guess that narrows it down to a 94 model year. Looks like it has stock rod bolts so not exactly a no expenses spared build.

You don't need to know cam specs to tune it, unless you are planning on going with one of those mail order "best guess" tunes.

If you get it, shitcan that crappy crank pulley.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Wow thanks! I would bet then that the guy throught it was worked over because it had a hot cam.

I definitely have some leverage power now to see if i can get a better price
Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a 94' to me as well due to the nonvented Opti timing cover. Also, make sure you change out the fuel rail as the vette's hook up the fuel lines on the passenger side vs. driverside on the fbodies. Saw that motor myself on Clist yesterday so good luck. Looks like a budget street build to me as I all I see on the motor that is an upgrade is the 4 bolt mains.

Quick Reply: Help identify engine