LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Water Pump Issue and question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Issue and question

I have a 94' with the LT-1 and installed a new water pump a few months back and now it has coolant coming out of the weep hole. I know this means that it will need to be replaced again. My question is this, I want to go to a electric pump on the water pump, has anyone done this and does the kit come with the parts that will fix my current pumps issue or do I need a whole new pump?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The EWP kit replaces the internals of the stock pump and also blocks off the weep hole with a freeze plug, so no - you don't need a new pump (assuming your housing isn't trashed - a very unlikely scenario).
Old 03-14-2012, 11:36 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blueangel73
I have a 94' with the LT-1 and installed a new water pump a few months back and now it has coolant coming out of the weep hole. I know this means that it will need to be replaced again. My question is this, I want to go to a electric pump on the water pump, has anyone done this and does the kit come with the parts that will fix my current pumps issue or do I need a whole new pump?
LT1 is our old chevy motor, LT-1 is a really old chevy motor.

Did you buy a GM pump or an aftermarket replacement? Some of them have some poor build quality. As for your question of EWP the pump comes with a plug for the drive. You have to clearance the front lip for some of the electric pumps. You also need to press the impeller shaft out of the pump to install the plug in the back of it. The only aftermarket electric pump that I know for sure doesn't require trimming of the fan shroud is the CSR pump.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 AM

The pump I currently have is an after market on picked up from AutoZone. The EWP I was looking at is this one . The housing appears to be in great shape, but I haven't pulled it off yet.

I will look into the CSR pump also.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM

That CSR Pump is nice and clean looking and it's not that badly priced, I will seriously looking into that one.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Meziere makes a great pump as well...the reliability and the name made me spend a little extra, (240) for the 55hd pump.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Issue and question