LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Alternator getting weak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Alternator getting weak?

It seems today that when I turn my A/C on the voltage drops about 2 volts and won't recover until I turn the air off. Is this an alternator on its way out or should I be looking at the battery? I was always under the impression that the battery is just there to crank the car, so I assume it is an alternator issue?

Anything else I should look at? I noticed lately there was a drop, but this morning its substantial when I turn the A/C on.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the rpms also drop down ? or just the voltage ? i would check wires first make sure your making good connections , Its not uncommon for the volts to drop alittle when ac is on because fans are running and pull of compressor on the engine
Old 03-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Check alternator with volt meter or take it off and have it tested for free at most any parts store.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the fans running all the time through the tune, well not as soon as I turn the car on, but yeah they are set to come on pretty low.

Yeah I think once my roommate wakes up for the day I'll see if I can borrow their car or something to go take it up, they can test them off car these days then? That is good to know, I always knew they had that huge setup they used to drag out there, but if it turns out bad at least I will already have it off the car.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Back from the parts store, the spare AC Delco alternator I have laying around tested good, went out to the car, they hooked their box up to the reman that is in the car now, 13.78 unloaded 13.55 loaded. Guy says that is fine, that was with the high beams and the A/C on.

Not sure if its related but last week the blower fan started making noticeable noise, especially on high, I think its dying. So I'll be replacing that soon I think. I'm told they work or they don't, yeah well mine all of a sudden makes racket. Could it also lead to issues, or could my volt gauge be going a little crazy?

I suppose if it is dark out I'll see the drop in voltage by observing the lights.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

So do those test results sound about right then?

Quick Reply: Alternator getting weak?