LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Blinker signal problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012 | 08:14 PM

Default Blinker signal problems

im having a problem with my blinkers the blinker light on the dash comes on and off as im driving. the blinkers them self do not work. when i turn the hazards on the blinkers do work..any one have any insight for me?
Old 04-01-2012 | 09:05 PM
Launching!

not being a smartass, but check the bulbs first, then the socket holder. if its corroded up really bad, it could have popped the fuse for the signals, or worn out the relay. gotta fix the reason it popped before just replacing the fuse, or youll be in the same position a few weeks from now
Old 04-01-2012 | 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

iirc, the hazard flash and blinker flash are separate relays. the flasher flashes the second element while the first element stays lit... now, the hazard flashes the first element and second so the light is completely off then completely on... which ever light doesnt blink, change the bulb with a amber 3157 bulb from autozone or oriellys
Old 04-02-2012 | 09:48 AM

i dont think i explained myself properly. alll the bulbs are good when the hazards are on they all the blinker lights turn on. when i turn the blinker on to go either left or right nothing happens. while im driving randomly the left blinker light on the dash flashes on and off. but the blinker outside does nothing.b i checked the bulbs and fuses havent found any problems
Old 04-02-2012 | 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

weird...
Old 04-02-2012 | 12:51 PM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

I'd bet there's something going on within the steering column.
Old 04-02-2012 | 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Just went trough this!!! Check the fuse panel on the side of the dash - if it's blown replace it - once replaced turn the ign on and if it pops you have one two bad things:
1- bad bulb / socket
You have indicated that they work with lights and flashers so maybe not the problem

2- Your Reverse light switch shares the circuit and if you have a bad switch or the "brown" wire which carries the 12V is grounded - this will cause the fuse to pop and no turn lights (the flasher circuit is separate and will work with a blown fuse believe me and that can be the frustrating part). - I had both a bad switch and grounded cable (pinched the cable during a clutch install). Note I replaced my turn signal switch and its no where as bad as people make it seem (this may be the cause but the other stuff I just mentioned will be easier to Troubleshoot and fix).

It's one or the other, I had the same condition you did so I hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2012 | 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Make sure your blinker fluid isnt low.
Old 04-02-2012 | 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Make sure your blinker fluid isnt low.
hahahahaha
Old 04-02-2012 | 04:38 PM

okay so i checked the fuse its fine i changed it anyways. when the hazard lights are on all of the bulbs outside are lighting up fine. no bulbs are blown i pulled each one and checked them all individually. when i attempt to use the blinkers nothing shows on the dash and the lights outside do not turn on. while the car is running the left blinker light comes on and off on the dash (not outside the car) with out me attempting to turn it on. so again none of the bulbs are blown neither are the fuses.
Old 04-02-2012 | 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Check the turn signal flasher under the steering column, it may need to be replaced.

Your hazards work fine because they are on a separate flashing relay than your turn signals are.

They're kind of buried under the steering column, not the easiest things to find-- one is to the left of the steering wheel and the other to the right and I can't remember which is which. If you find both, try swapping them. Then if your turn signals work and your hazards don't, you'll know to just buy a new flasher relay.

Last edited by tbag_skywalker; 04-02-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2012 | 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

From shbox's website:
Old 04-03-2012 | 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
Check the turn signal flasher under the steering column, it may need to be replaced.

Your hazards work fine because they are on a separate flashing relay than your turn signals are.

They're kind of buried under the steering column, not the easiest things to find-- one is to the left of the steering wheel and the other to the right and I can't remember which is which. If you find both, try swapping them. Then if your turn signals work and your hazards don't, you'll know to just buy a new flasher relay.
just swapped them right now thats exactly what it was thankyou. for the help its much appreciated.
Old 08-22-2012 | 10:05 PM
Teching In

Can you elaborate on this a bit more? I've got the same thing going on, and I've isolated mine even farther. If my car is off, I put in a new fuse, turn the car to the on position, (without even starting it) If I put it into reverse, it blows the fuse. Any ideas? I've replaced that blinker relay under the dash (right side) already and it's still doing it. Works fine until I put it in reverse. If the car is running, it actually surges at the same time the fuse blows.
Old 08-22-2012 | 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by achotrod
make sure your blinker fluid isnt low.

damn! Tree'd!

Quick Reply: Blinker signal problems