LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Does this sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this sound right?

My car has been running pretty good lately, no problems...EXCEPT for this. When the car gets hot from sitting in stop and go traffic and the fans kick on, the car runs really shitty and looses a lot of power. It hesitates, surges, and seems to run rich. I did a search and it sounds like the coolant temp sensor in tthe water pump going bad...but I'm not sure if that would throw a code or not.
Does this sound right to you guys?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FocusVince
My car has been running pretty good lately, no problems...EXCEPT for this. When the car gets hot from sitting in stop and go traffic and the fans kick on, the car runs really shitty and looses a lot of power. It hesitates, surges, and seems to run rich. I did a search and it sounds like the coolant temp sensor in tthe water pump going bad...but I'm not sure if that would throw a code or not.
Does this sound right to you guys?
Scan the PCM and find out if the temperature reading is accurate or not....if it's gone bad it will show -40 degrees lol. How long have you owned this LT1? Reason I ask is heat soak affects them MUCH more than say a LS motor due to the aluminum manifold; you probably want a 160 thermostat and fan tuning for them to come on sooner. Possibly an electric WP. My LT1 with all these goodies does not go over 190 sitting in ridiculous Charlotte traffic even in this hot weather.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've had it for about a year now, its due for an inspection in fact. I've tried going to parts stores seeing if they can scan but its and OBD1. I can probably get it scanned when I take it in for the inspection. I asked though just to see if I coulld figure it out before hand. So with that I will probably get a new thermostat in the near future.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FocusVince
I've had it for about a year now, its due for an inspection in fact. I've tried going to parts stores seeing if they can scan but its and OBD1. I can probably get it scanned when I take it in for the inspection. I asked though just to see if I coulld figure it out before hand. So with that I will probably get a new thermostat in the near future.
Did it act this way last summer/fall in the heat? You will want to get the fans tuned to come on early or the 160 thermostat won't really do anything. PCM for less will do it and give you some more HP while they're at it.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

No it did overheat once and the engine turned out to be fine. I've only noticed it recently to be honest, I usually don't drive in heavy traffic if I can avoid it. I'm guessing when my car overheated it could have ruined the sensor...maybe...
Old 04-04-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

it could show maxed out to(like 416 degrees or something) which would mean its grounded out.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

There are a few things that could be at play right now. If the car is over heating at a stop light and cools back down when driveing could mean that it is a water issue. Check to make sure there is plenty on water is in it, themostat is opening, waterpump is working, radiator isnt cloged or heater core cloged, hell even a air bubble in your water line. If it is still running hot while driving is more likly of an air problem. Check to make sure the fans work, the outside of radiator and a/c has dirt or other debris between it, or the air dam is broken.

Quick Reply: Does this sound right?