LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ram Air vs Lid vs Cai E.T. thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Air vs Lid vs Cai E.T. thread

Hey guys. Just bought me another M6 LT1 TA with only mod being a K&N Cai. For the hours and days i've searched i've never found any hard evidence of gains. My goal is too once and for all provide this mythical evidence we have all been lacking. lol

My 97 TA has a ws6 hood so it'll make my testing that much easier. Just got my ram air box so hopefully will be doing some testing next friday at the local track. Only thing that sucks is the car is stock so gains probably won't be as impressive vs a full exhaust car. Also my local track is just a crap 1/8th mile so less room to see gains. Still none the less i'm determined to get some kind of results. I'm gonna purchase a Lid in the next couple of days so that can be tested as well.

Here's my comparisons i'll be doing all same day at the track with hopefully some similar track temps so there's no argue there.

1. Cai
2. ws6 box sealed to hood
3. ws6 box unsealed to hood (the age old air volume debate)
4. Lid

I'm going to have the Maf wired and ready to go for quick changing during T&T. Probably gonna do 3-4 runs with each setup and take an avg mph. Later in the year when i go to the closest 1/4 (2.5 hours away) i'll be taking all 3 setups again to get even more desired results. By that time i'll have my lt's, full exhaust, and tune so that'll be the real thread to look for. Probably be a couple months for that one though.

Any suggestions you guys let me know. Gonna be rough on the ole girl but i just gotta know for sure.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not again!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

man trust me i searched and searched and even read alot of your input which was in almost all the threads but i wanna know for sure whats the best for me. Figured people would appreciate some hard evidence as well so this NEVER has to be questioned again. All i've found to this very day is nothing but here say and opinions. Time for some facts. lol
Old 04-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

in all my searching i got to read alot on your TA btw. BADA$$ sir!!! Gives me something to shoot for with the prehistoric LT1. lol
Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thought it was going to be another crappy debate post that turns into an 8 page pissing match, but glad you are actually going to get results.

FWIW I tested back to back on the dyno a K&N FIPK and an open throttle body on my H/C stock shortblock setup and only got like 1.3hp difference - and my CAI had a dirty filter . That means that it flows more then enough for a stock cube engine @ 6500rpms, so for anything to make more power then a good CAI, you will actually need true ram air effect. What mph and size scoop neccesary to get that ram air benefit is the question.

I can see a chris1313 setup making gains with its large frontal area scoop though.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Lid(aftermarket) set up and the ws6 ramair will be identical as for the K&N vs. The two, it will lose to both been there done that with this topic.
It also has been proven by many however there are the few others that disbelieve but still have not done this test on their own.............have fun testing
Old 04-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
The Lid(aftermarket) set up and the ws6 ramair will be identical as for the K&N vs. The two, it will lose to both been there done that with this topic.
It also has been proven by many however there are the few others that disbelieve but still have not done this test on their own.............have fun testing
i believe the lid would be better because i think the FIPK would suck in warm air from the motor if you don't have RAM AIR hood as the WS6 or SS.....CHRIS 1313 FTW!!!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i really don't expect to see much if any difference between ws6 box and lid. Then again some WS6 ls1 guys claim 2 tenth (1/4 mile) gains going to a lid. Once again unproven but who knows. I bougth this car too enjoy it so i don't mind the testing. Gives me a good reason to rape on it. Haha
Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It really depends on your set up. Im running a 396 w/ AFR 210 heads, Big hydrolic cam .588/.610 108LSA and lots of durations etc. Ive always had the K&N CAI set up but just recently switched to the LS1 SLP Lid setup and its alot better. When using data master to record KpA, data master shows the K&N CAI dropping KpA starting around 5800 rpms or so. The SLP Lid set up on the other hand holds KpA steady around 99 over 6000 rpm. The SOTP difference is very noticeble between both setups, being in favor of the SLP Lid. In my particular case, the K&N CAI could not keep up with the demand of the engine at high rpm. My car dynoed in the 460-465 RWHP SAE with a stock water pump and K&N CAI. Should be interesting to see what the dyno puts out with this SLP LID and an electric waterpump. I'll Keep you posted

Picture of SLP RAM AIR Setup

Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

True "ram"air is a lot harder to accomplish than the typical "ramair" kits you see. Lots more engineering involved, a big forward facing hole does NOT accomplish it, and when it is accomplished it is difficult to make it work without it hurting aerodynamics so much it is offset.

Basically what I am saying is that all the "ramair" kits you are looking at are really only CAI kits which is fine.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The CAIs are great little setups, my K&N showed KpA in the high 90's and even hit 100 at times before 5800 rpms. IMO it really depends on what your set up is. Size of cam/cam specs/cubic inches/size of heads all play a role in deciding which route to go. My setup is a little bit on the extreme side and I noticed a difference going to the SLP Lid, the data doesn't lie.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
True "ram"air is a lot harder to accomplish than the typical "ramair" kits you see. Lots more engineering involved, a big forward facing hole does NOT accomplish it, and when it is accomplished it is difficult to make it work without it hurting aerodynamics so much it is offset.

Basically what I am saying is that all the "ramair" kits you are looking at are really only CAI kits which is fine.
I got about 1" less of vacuum according to the stock MAP at the top of 2nd gear when I put on the slp ram air kit. I did some water column testing and it definitely creates a positive pressure under the air filter once your moving. Hell even a little 12" fan pointed at the front of the car makes quite a bit of air come out of the kit.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With the location of the MAP in the LT1 intake I think we see some Bernoulli Effect so I don't think we will actually see full atmospheric on the MAP reading often. Have seen examples of even a monoblade on a 355 showing vacuum via the MAP but given the intake tract and rpm it was seen at it could not be legitimate.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run no air filter
Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula934
Picture of SLP RAM AIR Setup
Why is your MAF clocked 45* like that?
I don't know if it matters with ram air, but I've seen people have problems with it on CAIs with the elbow.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Why is your MAF clocked 45* like that?
I don't know if it matters with ram air, but I've seen people have problems with it on CAIs with the elbow.
If I had to guess it would be because of the short reach of the MAF plug/harness. I had to do the same exact thing.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1badzee
If I had to guess it would be because of the short reach of the MAF plug/harness. I had to do the same exact thing.
Agreed. I have problems with the maf harness reaching the maf w/ my stock setup. Admittedly, my maf's plug is pointed straight up, but that's beside the point.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Run no air filter
lol when i had the my ls1,i would removed the air filter i had the slp lid..worked good for me and oviously never raced on dirt places on road so no dirt nothing would go in the enine .now on this 383 it has the ram air ..work good just need to clean the air filter
Old 04-24-2012, 02:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Or you could spend 5 minutes and extend the wires.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Mine isn't really that far off. Probably not a bad idea to extend them, but for now it will have to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ram Air vs Lid vs Cai E.T. thread