LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter?

A few weeks ago I bought my first car, a 1994 Camaro Z28. The car has 123k miles on it and has a few new parts; a new alternator and distributor.

When I key it over it starts perfectly fine but when it starts there is a loud chirp sound. My dad's friend said it is perfectly fine but I figured I would seek a second opinion from people who actually OWN these cars.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-07-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

a little more info would help. Is it on cold starts? or does it go away after a while? Is it stock? Where does it sound it coming from?
Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its on cold starts I'm not sure about warm. Ill test it out tonight when I get out of work. The only mods are bolt ons and the sound comes from under the hood
Old 04-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be nothing (that i know of) if it starts just fine every crank. But, my car had a "chirp" sound when i started it w/my old starter, and it would often take several turns of the key until the car would actually start... every other time it would just make a tap sound, like it wasn't fully engaging the flywheel properly. Long story short, i got tired of it, and replaced it w/an aftermarket one. Starts perfectly every time now, no chirp either. The problem i had was the starter, and it wasn't until i took it off, and had it in good light that i saw there was a small crack running along it. Under pressure this could have cause the starter pinion to go in a direction other than where it was intended, and either hit something (like the flywheel itself) or chirp when started. Yours may just be needing a shim installed or removed which sounds like a small pain in the butt to deal with.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hot93rod
It could be nothing (that i know of) if it starts just fine every crank. But, my car had a "chirp" sound when i started it w/my old starter, and it would often take several turns of the key until the car would actually start... every other time it would just make a tap sound, like it wasn't fully engaging the flywheel properly. Long story short, i got tired of it, and replaced it w/an aftermarket one. Starts perfectly every time now, no chirp either. The problem i had was the starter, and it wasn't until i took it off, and had it in good light that i saw there was a small crack running along it. Under pressure this could have cause the starter pinion to go in a direction other than where it was intended, and either hit something (like the flywheel itself) or chirp when started. Yours may just be needing a shim installed or removed which sounds like a small pain in the butt to deal with.
It starts up first try every time. If anything every now and then it will hesitate half a second. I just want to know what I need to replace if anything needs replacing

Quick Reply: Starter?