LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

crankshaft hub install

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default crankshaft hub install

So i see a lot of threads about people having a hard time with this, now I'm at that point too. My questions are:

I bought this piece when i bought some of the stuff for my cam swap
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66515/

It doesn't seem like the threads are long enough though and I don't want to ruin them. I'm thinking that tool is for a gen 1 sbc?

My second question is what the next best thing if that tool doesn't work? I saw people saying buy a 7/16 - 20 rod to thread in and a nut to go on with washer etc. Is that a hard to find rod or would like ace hardware have them in stock?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2012, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found the threaded rod at a hardware store .. It's not hardened though.. I used washers small in dia. To fit inside hub then a few larger ones in dia once outside of dia , I also used a long almost triple length nut (more thread contact less thread stress) , I stuck the hub in the oven @400 deg for about 20min ,applied some antiseize to crank snout with my finger,placed Hub into location on the crank , whacked it once with a hammer , inserted/threaded rod into crank,slipped on washers and started tightening .. Slipped on like butter
Old 04-08-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

ok ill have to go looking for that then.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

this is plug & play LT1 specific tool by Kent Moore. I Found on ebay. there are other ways to remove or install a balancer, this makes it simple.

With The ATI balancer you need to put a long socket over the "removal" stud and on "install" stud use larger washers than the ones that come with it...
Attached Thumbnails crankshaft hub install-km-lt1-puller.jpg   crankshaft hub install-km-puller.jpg   crankshaft hub install-km-puller-ati-eagle-crank.jpg  

Quick Reply: crankshaft hub install