LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 camaro need help with SES light and data scan

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 camaro need help with SES light and data scan

Ok guys so I finally have aldl cable and tuner pro rt all ready to go.
The reason I got this is because I know the car was tuned by the previous owner and I just wanted to keep an eye on things and my SES light started coming on when I drive down the highway. The light would come on for about 5 min then go back off, come back on and so on until I get off the highway and the light would stay off.

Today using tuner pro rt I data logged a normal driving condition trip to the highway down the highway and back to a parking lot.

The data is so glithcy I cant make heads or tails of it. The entire time tho I had codes 95,96,97,98,99 blinking error next to them. But the SES light only came on for a brief moment.

Also the knock retard is jumping around too like its pulling timing!

any ideas what the heck is causing my check engine light?
If anyone is using tuner pro and can look at my data log I could really use some insight on to whats going on. Ive never messed with any of these so Im trying to learn!

Thinking about downloading datamaster and trying that.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

just looked up the obd1 codes on here and it doesnt even list a 95,96,98!??
Old 04-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Teching In

sounds like you got a few problems...

check that nothing is knocking against the engine block causing the knock sensor to read as a pre-detinantion. if all is good, i would recommend replacing the knock sensor and that should fix the timing issue if all is well with everthing and timing shains not worn out.

also, check your o2 sensors, if there severly corroded they may not be giving you good readings.
all your sensors need to be functioning properly in order to get good reading for your programming needs.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

So I looked around and it looks like my alternator might be contacting the frame/sway bar mount when the engine revs. The alt was relocated when ac was removed.

Guess that could cause it?
Old 04-25-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Ok really need help now guys.
I checked everything and there is nothing running that I can find. I did clearance my alternator a little more tho.

After fighting with tuner pro I downloaded data master and wow much better program!
Found out I had a bad left o2 so replaced that. Found out for sure it's pulling 10* timing under wot and up to 6* just normal driving. So I replace the knock sensor. When I took the old one out no water came out....that had me confused after looking closer at it the last owner must off broke off the tip inside and just reinstalled a new one on top of it.

After getting a steady coolant flow from the knock sensor hole I reinstalled my new knock sensor. At first I though it was still pulling timing because it feels sluggish. After data logging (while sitting still in P) I found it almost didnt pull any timing like it was before.
However its still throwing a dtc for left o2 which I just replaced! also I noticed that my voltage is pretty low..about 12.0-11.8 while running so now im wondering if that could make the car feel sluggish. Im driving myself crazy because this is the first lt1 car ive really done anything with and cant seem to get it right.

I don't know where to check now. The car just doesn't pull like if did when I first got it.
Anyone want to take a look at the data master file?

Last edited by kylemm1002; 04-25-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 95 camaro need help with SES light and data scan