LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Alternator brace/bracket question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator brace/bracket question

I'm using a 95 LT1 corvette engine and have the accessory bracket from a 95Impala. I know this sounds strange but this is all going into a 57 Chevy so as you can see from my pictures I have frame and inner fender clearance issues.

My question is; Using the Passenger side accessory bracket, Do I need to use the rear alternator bracket or support brace. Will it be solid enough with accessory bracket and the (for a lack of a better term) two legged brace.

The reason for the passenger side is steering gear box sits high, headers ect on the drivers side.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

I never put mine back on when I reinstalled the accesorys, no issues yet. Only has about 10k miles since then though.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't see your pics but have seen LT1 in a 57. In that car stock F-body manifolds were on (95 camero was donor car) and he had all the brackets. You have headers but you can run at least 1 or 2 of the 3 brackets.

With that said I know other B body 94-96 Impalas running without any of the braces. Obviously GM figured they needed them as they won't spend $.02 more than they have to. Some have noticed belt slip under WOT conditions without the rear brace.

pics of mine

There are 3 braces 2 of which I don't see what they would conflict. The 3rd does go back to #4 cyl manifold bold. Mine came with the headers
Attached Thumbnails Alternator brace/bracket question-alt-bracket-1.jpg   Alternator brace/bracket question-alt-bracket-4.jpg   Alternator brace/bracket question-alt-bracket-6.jpg  
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Many people run their alternator without the brackets in the back. I am one of them as well, but their are some who have had the bracket crack. i have never had any issues in over 10 years
Old 05-06-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ditto, I distched the 2 braces many moons ago, no slip, no crack, no wobble.

Quick Reply: Alternator brace/bracket question