LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coolant Return Line Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Return Line Question

96 LT1...Coolant return line comes from back of heads, through throttle body, then back to radiator. For some reason, the previous owner cut the nipple off the radiator for this return line and put a screw in it to "seal" it (which is not working). Then they blocked the return coolant at the throttle body, so the coolant comes out of the heads, goes into the throttle body and stops there and has nowhere to go. This can't be good right? This is just like plugging the back of the heads off. What will the result be if this was left alone?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the throttle body bypass free mod to eliminate that The steam tube from the back of the heads ties into the hose comin from right under the radiator cap If you search lt1 free mods itll come up Hot coolant threw the Tb isnt good for producing horsepower
Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

The hose right under the cap goes to the overflow tank. The one under that is what you are referring to and that's the one that is "missing" from this radiator. I know how to bypass the throttle body, but there's nowhere to connect the hose coming from the back of the heads. My question is, and it's pretty much retorical just to confirm my thinking; what would happen if you just plugged off the back of the heads? This is essentially what the previous owner did to this car, which I'm assuming is why he blew through 2 sets of head gaskets and sold me the car for cheap. I just put a stock motor in the car so I can sell it and make a few dollars. Looks like I will need a new radiator.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need a new radiator if the nipple is broke off. The head pipe hose should either go to the TB or the Radiator. That line flows a good amount of coolant through it and is very helpful in keeping the temp down . Also very easy for air pockets to form in this tube since its one of the highest places the coolant travels
Old 05-10-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

The PO was apparently unaware of proper hose routing (or an idiot ). A new radiator is not that expensive.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Yup, new radiator it is......for my car. This car is getting my old radiator. In the past year or so I've sold 2 radiators out of parts cars I've acquired leaving me with zero extra radiators. Oh well, I'll have me a nice new one for my car now for $110, which ain't too bad.

Quick Reply: Coolant Return Line Question