LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Start LT1 UP After Storage Quick Question??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Start LT1 UP After Storage Quick Question??

Hey guys,

So I stored my camaro over the winter from early mid October (live in nebraska) till just yesterday May 10th. I got a new battery installed and when it first started it was seeming to idling rough, not missing just it sound "clogged". So I shut it off and checked everything, header gaskets intake elbow, exhuast connections. Everything looked fine, I re-started it and bam it was running like a champ. Any ideas on what might have caused this besides just sitting? Any reason to worry, anything else I should check?

Devin
Old 05-11-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If stored that long, I'd feel more comfortable pulling out the fuel pump relay and pulling off the coil wire. Then crank it several times for 3-4 seconds to let the oil pump get some oil to the lifters, valvetrain, etc. Then fire it up.

Probably no harm done though.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojira94
If stored that long, I'd feel more comfortable pulling out the fuel pump relay and pulling off the coil wire. Then crank it several times for 3-4 seconds to let the oil pump get some oil to the lifters, valvetrain, etc. Then fire it up.

Agreed I do the same.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojira94

Totally dropped the bomb here, I didn't even think of it. Started it again today check all seals while it was running and all gaskets. Checked oil pressure and oil level. I think it really run today, have a car show tomorrow. Let it idle for 20 mins then gradually increased the rpm's a couple times, check pressure while doing so and it all increased. Double checked once I was done and things look good to go. I usually start it up every 3-4 weeks during storage but my battery died and I was recovering from complete shoulder reconstruction so I was always busy or in PT or something. If you could is there a write-up that you could provide, I get the general idea of what you suggested and I could do it with ease, I just didn't know if there was a trouble shooter or outline that I could glance at and double check if need be. Thanks for the suggestion, I hope I didn't mess it up.

Devin

Quick Reply: Start LT1 UP After Storage Quick Question??