LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust System Ground Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust System Ground Clearance

How much clearance do you guys end up with when you build your system either Single or Dual set-ups? I have mine tucked in the best I can, at the moment, but I do need to make a couple of tweaks to make it better. I am just wondering what a realist goal is? I seem to have mine higher then the bottom of the Tunnel Mount T/A Bracket but even at that it seems awfully low!

Joe
Old 05-12-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most guys are happy with a Pop can height.

I need to redo my fuel lines so I can tuck my duals up higher, probably pound the floor pans up a bit too.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends how it's built.

You're never going to get a dual system (symmetrical style setup) to run as tight as a dual system that runs in the stock location (passenger side routing). That's why the Kooks system uses that routing.

I have symmetrical duals right now and the clearance is good, but it won't be that great once I replace the BMR rear springs... because the car actually needs to be ~10mm lower in the back.

I'm currently designing a dual exhaust system that runs in the stock location with an x-pipe and uses oval tubing up to the "x" just for a bit more ground clearance. I've seen other systems that are 'similar', most of which were custom built.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mac mids, single cat under the hump, Flowmaster single 3" - I had a local shop tuck and spot weld everything up, almost touching the floor. Car is lowered 2.5" and the lowest point is the fender tabs. I laugh at speed bumps

This dual system was built (honestly) in Mexico. The frame cross rail was cut/hammered and the intermediate pipes were slightly stacked to tuck into the trans tunnel. Car had more ground clearance than stock

Old 05-12-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I turn around when I see a speed bump haha.

Quick Reply: Exhaust System Ground Clearance