LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

best 96 lt1 cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best 96 lt1 cam

i've got a 96 z28 lt1 with an automatic. I got a summer job and now have a little money to blow so it's time for a cam. I just put on a set of hooker longtubes with a 3 inch cut out into a magnaflow cat-back. also has a cai with a b&m shifter. I'm lookin for a cam that would be good with this set up. i want somethin that adds some horsepower and chop to the exhaust but not something that i can't drive. i'd like to keep this as a somewhat daily driver. i've heard of the lt4 hotcam but heard it wasn't the best choice. i'm looking at a cc502. but i need some opinions and advice from people that have upgraded and dealt with them. i'm gonna have this car for a long time and don't want something that trashes the motor. i'm lookin to spend 2000 to 2500 for parts and install. if theres money left id like to do the heads while the cam is being done. any opinions or input would be great.
p.s...what else do i need to go with the cam? specific parts? everything i needed please
Old 05-16-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No one can really recommend a cam unless you tell every one what you want to do with the car. Your going to need gaskets, springs, retainer, locks, rockers, pushrods, if auto a stall, gears with a m6. You might want to put in an opti, water pump, and lifters depending on the mileage.

im sure im missing alot
Old 05-16-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't have to have the opti or water pump but def a thing to think about. You need intake gasket water pump gaskets new vavle springs lifters depending on how they look pry a new timing chain gears and chain also a tune. I ran the 502 and the 503 the 503 is a defiant power gain over both the 502 and hot cam and sounds good. If your going to keep stock heads go with the 503 and gears and stall and some long tube headers.. I have both 502 and 503 cam used if interested pm me
Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 PM

i'm lookin for a cam to gain some horsepower but not lose drivability. have the full exhaust already probably gonna do a different stall next year and a set of 3.73 or 3.90's. the car has 75 k on it right now. im thinking about changing out the distributor..i heard the opti blows and replacing it is a good idea. the cc502 and 503 are the only ones i've really seen much about
Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 PM

i also live about an hour away from lingenfelter so could easily get something from them. any suggestions at all? also thinking about a custom grind. any suggestions?

Quick Reply: best 96 lt1 cam