LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

magnaflow tail pipes??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default magnaflow tail pipes??

Is there any place that I can get just the 2 exit pipes for a magnaflow exhaust? Exhaust shop wont touch my car because it doesnt have any cats on it and i refuse to let them put any on it. We dont have Echeck and im not worried about it, however it leaves me without exhaust tips. My tail pipes were welded on for a camaro and I had to cut them off to get the system to fit.

I see walker tail pipes but I doubt they would work.

" I aint gettin slapped with a 50k$ fine for touching a car with no cats" what a ***** shop owner. I told him to put it in as a camaro, any year, and say you did something stupid to it and charge me the cost for the exhaust work, and its like I was never here, but he still wouldnt do it.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any other shops in your area you could try? I would guess your probably gonna need to have some pipes fitted for it. If you could get some dimensions of the set up you want, just go to a exhaust shop have them bend them the way you need and weld them on yourself or take to a welding shop.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Go elsewhere. If you county really doesn't have emission then that shop owner is an idiot.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:14 AM
TECH Addict

I dont see why it matters, for all anyone whos anybody knows I added the 3" ORY after they did what they did.

I guess Ill have to call around, its a stupid problem, but a problem none the less.

I was thinking of putting some dumps on just so it doesnt shoot directly into the bumper, and then just marking where I want my o2 bung for the wideband. They argue'd with me about that too "well you know you need 2 wideband sensors because its a v8 and it has 2 banks amd blah fuckity blah" why cant people just do what you tell them when your paying them to do it?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Find a different shop, preferably one that deals primarily in performance. It sounds to me like you're trying to have this done at a muffler shop. They put mufflers on minivans and family sedans so when a customer comes in asking for something like you're asking of course they're going to try and sway you into what they think is "right."
Old 05-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
... what a ***** shop owner.
Seriously?
Look at it from his side. He is protecting what he does for a living. He doesn't know you. Why should he give you preferential treatment? You want a shop to do you a favor you need start asking around locally.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

^^ that was meant to be mildly sarcastic with a hint of "just do the work!"

I had a Car-x weld in a bullet muffler on a 94 camaro z28 with long tubes and off road y pipe, they never said a word about cats. Maybe Ill go back there. I understand he can legally turn me away, should do it befor they put my car on a lift, have 4 techs stand under it for a half hour, and then when I say yes to the price they bitch about cats.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I hear ya on the fact that it sucks, what he's saying has some merit. A local shop that's well known for their performance muffler systems does the "no cat" thing but it has to be done in all cash with no receipt. Regardless, they've been slapped with a fine at least once, I think twice, but I heard it was around $20k. Apparently they find the trade-off is worth it for business because they still do it.

As mentioned, look for a fab shop or performance muffler shop. Some places will be more lenient if you say it's a race car and you don't drive it in.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you live in California or some other emission **** state? That sounds like something a typical Midas or other big chain muffler shop would bitch about lol....the small locally owned shops do what you pay them to no questions asked in my experience. As mentioned, find a shop that deals with primarily PERFORMANCE cars and they shouldn't give you such a hard time.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

it was a midas, its the closest "exhaust shop" to where the car sits.

But no, we got rid of E check probably 6 years ago.

Quick Reply: magnaflow tail pipes??