LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I am installing headers an have ran into a problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am installing headers an have ran into a problem

I don't know if this is the right section in the forum for this. I am installing headers on my 1996 trans am LT1 and the problem i ran into is the last two bolts on the driver side header went in easy until i got in about 3/4 of the way and now I believe they are cross threaded as they have become impossible to turn to tighten. i have tried to loosen them and take them back out but that isn't working. any tips or tricks. thank you.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe try to get a flat blade screw driver on the bolt to back it out while your usin a gear wrench or ratchet Then take the heads off & get em heli-coiled The last owner of my T/A did that to the spark plugs Guess Im in the same boat kinda lol
Old 06-15-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

is the other header on? the one thing thats come to mind it heat the head/ run the engine until its warm and hope it comes out. or try to get a 6 point socket on it and force it out.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Teching In

the other header is on
Old 06-18-2012, 07:29 AM

If the bolt went in 3/4 of the way with ease you did not cross thread it. You either had too long of a bolt and it bottomed out mushroomimg the bottom of the bolt and stressing the threads or there was some type of debris in the hole causing the correct length bolt to "bottom out" as well. This woukd explain why the bolt it "stuck". If it were my car id get a longer ratchet and force the bolt out then inspect the bolt and hole. Blow the hole out with compressed air and run a tap in by hand if needed then blow out again. Use correct length bolt and torque down mildly. Good luck buddy hope all works out for ya!
Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Doesn't read like a cross threaded bolt, like already stated, reads more like something is in the bolt hole. Perhaps the remnants of a broken bolt? After extracting bolt, compare/measure bolts holes with one where the bolt seated all the way.

Quick Reply: I am installing headers an have ran into a problem