LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

unknown problem wiring???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unknown problem wiring???

fans went out so i hooked up switch off fuse panel directly to batt input. then installed a ls1 center console cut and spliced cig wires also tapped my electric cut out to that. then ran a highs amp to my tweeters then noticed batt gauge was low fans quit working cig lighters quit workin along with e cut out and when i turn off vehicle park brake light and seat belt light comes on and dims out slowly then car bings once as if i left keys in ignition but only one beep... plz just a lil help were to start hate wiring next time no short routes
Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

A bit hard to tell what you rewired without a schematic of it, but I would bet the work you did is causing all your issues. Sounds like you might have a back feed situation. You really have to know what you are doing before connecting a bunch of stuff up. I'd say, pull all that stuff out, consult schematics, fix your fan issue and start over.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shbox knows his stuff If it was my car I would figure out why the fans quit workin in the first place Been more than one car burnt to the ground from "electrical fires" If you must rewire fans its best to use the thermo switch & solenoids to turn em on Just my 2cents If someone else has to drive it they wont turn on stuff like you would!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://shbox.com/1/fan_sw_diagram1.jpg

Good guide on how to wire up the switches. I ran the ground (12AWG) to the bolt behind the passenger side kick panel and took a hot leg (16AWG, same gauge as all other wires except the ground) for the leds off a wire that only has 12V with the key in the on position. Just did the install myself this weekend, actually. You can get the components for $20 at Radioshack.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't i just use one of those probe things in the radiator for them to come on at a certain temp? if so were at?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stop what you're doing and re-read shbox's advice. You're only going to make things worse since it's obvious you don't know too much about what you're doing.