LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Circle track / Burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Circle track / Burning oil

Hey guys have a small oil burning issue only when im at the track. My local track is Langley speed way and they do an event called wacky Wednesday witch street cars can race Time attack and 1v1 for prize money. Well I took the car out for the first time just to get a feel i did pretty good pulled a 21.4 for time attack. Everyone's avg about 20-22 for good drivers and 18-19 for built built cars made for the track. Had no issues at all. 2nd and 3rd time out i pushed it alittle more and got a 20.8 for my best time. After that i noticed it started smoking after each run. Only for alittle bit on start up and it clears right up after 1min and a few high revs. This only happens at the track. Home driving or shooting ***** around town its clear. Car runs great, smooth idle, no knocks ticks or anything, temps is great too. When im on the track im racing around 4-5 grand rpms for a short time and never gets past 3rd gear. A few ppl believe im sucking up oil from the PCV valve from the back pressure when im done with a round. I think it might be getting sucked up from the passenger side top valve cover were the CCV valve in. How ever most diagrams i looked up shows that as air in. Is it air into the motor or is it sucking air out? When i take it off with the car on its pulling a vacuum. Also my oil is clean with no signs of a head gasket failure and the coolant lvs are always topped off. Side note My Intake manifold is leaking oil some. Not bad just a drop or 2 now and then and my valve covers show signs of needing a gasket replaced as well.

Any tips or ideas you guys might have would be grateful. Not sure if im right on with it being the PCV thats causing the oil burning or if it could be something elts.

Car specs : 94 LT1 Z28 M6 mostly stock with air intake / cat-back exhaust.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

If you have the PCV in place and proper working order it probably cannot keep up with the constant high rpm and you are getting far too much oil vapor into the breather tube. The baffle on the stock valve cover was not the best design. That's my guess anyway.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Was hoping someone might have ran into this issue before and had a trick or bypass mod to help with the track. Was thinking of putting a catch can but not sure how to run it.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

A catch can will help a lot do a search I've posted pics of my catch can set up it's not hard. Just buy a good baffled catch can not a cheap eBay open can.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blind898
Was hoping someone might have ran into this issue before and had a trick or bypass mod to help with the track. Was thinking of putting a catch can but not sure how to run it.
I've heard of some of the autocross running an extra half quart since, a good amount of oil will make it to the top end if you are holding the higher rpms. I just bought a moroso can to mount on my firewall to fix that.

Quick Reply: Circle track / Burning oil