LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

convert opti2 to opti1 style drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default convert opti2 to opti1 style drive

so i know this may be a odd question but i have a opti1 car and my opti went out and i happen to have a brand new opti2. what i am wondering is if it is possible to take them both apart and switch out the cam drive for the opti1 style gear drive
Old 07-17-2012, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i am nowhere near my cores right now to confirm i don't think you can. the guts between the two are very different. even if you managed to press out the drives and swap them you will have a hell of a time indexing them correctly.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well that is unfortunate.. i was really hoping it would work.
so what brand would you recommend? im sure this has been gone over many times and i have tried many of those brands. In the last year and a half i have gone through 4 opti's including ac delco, chandler motorsports, and msd. On top of that i use LTCC. maybe i just have crap luck :/
Old 07-17-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get all the stuff to convert your engine to the Opti II Not that much more work since your already there Check out the parts section & search the swap
Old 07-17-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
You can get all the stuff to convert your engine to the Opti II Not that much more work since your already there Check out the parts section & search the swap
It's more involved than just switching a few parts. A cam swap is required since the vented opti has a different drive mechanism than the unvented opti.

I'd recommend just changing the cap to an MSD (hate to say it). It has provisions to make the unvented opti vented by adding a vacuum harness.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Village Troll

Received 533 Likes on 385 Posts

I think this is the first time I've ever read someone wanting to go from vented to non-vented. Don't do it.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't understand how people have so many problems with their Opti's. I replaced mine with another Delco unit when I got my car 4.5 years and 22K miles ago and it wasn't even the problem I was having at the time.( So I basically threw away a good 89K mile Opti...) I've been racing at the track and the street, Daily Driven and have gone on long trips with my car and have been in heavy rain and have never had a single Opti related issue ever. And it's a spline drive, non-vented '93 style....

I'm starting to think it's just high horsepower LT1's and operator error that kills these things....