LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Vented opti swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Vented opti swap

http://para.noid.org/~muttvette/opti.html

Saw this page on CZ28.com... found it pretty helpful. If my opti goes out, I'll probably do this swap. Anybody have any comments on experiences with vented optis as compared to non-vented optis?
Old 04-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the swap is a non-trivial issue. The only way I would consider it is if you were planning on doing a cam-swap anyway. Tearing the front end off an LT1 sucks - just did it. Wouldn't want to do it again without a damn good reason.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say if your opti goes out then do the coil conversion
Old 04-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

I thought I would throw my opinion in here. I have a 96 Z, which originally came with the vented optispark. Long story short, I threw a couple rods at six grand and needed to replace the motor. I picked up a 95 lt1 and instead of putting the vented optispark back on I made the switch to the old non vented version. My primary reasoning for this was that damn crank position sensor at the bottom of the newer timing covers. No matter what I tried, oil would always leak from that location. If you make the switch, I would recommend tapping that hole and plugging it. I made the switch to a OBD I computer, so I was able to eliminate the sensor any way. There are only a few minor differences to note, the first being the crank pos. sensor, the timing chain cover, the opti connector, and the pin on the camshaft ( on the vented versions it is pounded in about a tenth of an inch more ). Cost to benefit imo, it's not worth it. You would also have to tap into your intake elbow and buy a fitting for the side of you intake. In short, I had the vented opti for about 2 years with no problems (except the oil leak from the crank pos. sensor) and have had the non vented one for about 4 years now with no problems. Sorry for rambling so much, but this has always been a big debate with Lt1s, and I never could see the benefit of paying any extra money to make the switch. Hope this helps.