LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Waterpump Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterpump Leaking

I noticed the other day that the water pump was starting to stain under the pump, well checked it last night and iv got a pretty good leak( its like a continuous drip) coming from the pump now right in the middle against the block, wondering exactly how hard this will be to remove and replace and if anyone has any write ups on it. It looks like i can get away with just removing the cooling fans and not having to remove the radiator. I hope its just the pump and i dont have to remove the timing cover and replace the seal in there was well.

114k miles on the motor
Old 08-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

You don't have to remove the timing cover to replace the seal. You should be able to search these forums as well as the impala forum and cz28.com as well to come up with some sort of write up. I believe there is one at least on the impala forum on how to install the seal over the output shaft, but that's only if you have an oil leak. Leave it alone if it's not leaking.
The most difficult part about the water pump swap is cleaning the gasket material off the block. Especially on the passenger side since the water jackets are enveloped in the accessory bracket. The best way to go about it is to use a wire wheel on a drill. In a pinch I used a puddy knife and ended up scraping for over an hour.
It's very straight forward. You will have to remove the coil, air pump (if so equipped) and bracket that holds the air pump (again, if so equipped).
There are six bolts holding it on. It's easiest to get the bottom bolts from the bottom, as well as the one in the middle on the passenger side. That one needs a wobbly extension to get past the power steering pump pulley. It looks impossible, but it's very easy. You will have plenty of space to work by removing the fan shroud. To the one who's never done this before it's around a four to six hour job.
Get fel-pro w/p gaskets. Most any parts store amazingly/usually has them in stock. No need to use sealant either.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS RRR
You don't have to remove the timing cover to replace the seal. You should be able to search these forums as well as the impala forum and cz28.com as well to come up with some sort of write up. I believe there is one at least on the impala forum on how to install the seal over the output shaft, but that's only if you have an oil leak. Leave it alone if it's not leaking.
The most difficult part about the water pump swap is cleaning the gasket material off the block. Especially on the passenger side since the water jackets are enveloped in the accessory bracket. The best way to go about it is to use a wire wheel on a drill. In a pinch I used a puddy knife and ended up scraping for over an hour.
It's very straight forward. You will have to remove the coil, air pump (if so equipped) and bracket that holds the air pump (again, if so equipped).
There are six bolts holding it on. It's easiest to get the bottom bolts from the bottom, as well as the one in the middle on the passenger side. That one needs a wobbly extension to get past the power steering pump pulley. It looks impossible, but it's very easy. You will have plenty of space to work by removing the fan shroud. To the one who's never done this before it's around a four to six hour job.
Get fel-pro w/p gaskets. Most any parts store amazingly/usually has them in stock. No need to use sealant either.
alright it didnt seem like it was going to be extrememly difficult, thanks for the input and glad to know i wont be changing the seal behind the timing cover. Yea i found a video on youtube on how to change it off a impala, wasnt sure how much harder it was gunna be to do on a f body since there is alot less clearance
Old 08-05-2012, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

btw opti doesnt have to be removed correct?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

newp..............
Old 08-06-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the water pump leaked on my 95 some water went into the Opti. I'd take the cap off and look. If it did clean it up.

Al 95 Z28