LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How bad is this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How bad is this?

The car in question is a 1994 Z28 with a built 383 Stroker in it. It now has just short of 3 K on it.

I was just going over the previous owner's posts here and on other sites and I came to a conclusion. The owner had a PCMforLess tune put on the car after he put longtubes, a LPE supertube, and a full exhaust on it. (stock motor) I was lead to beleive that the PCM was sent back to PCMforLEss when he put the 383 Stroker in it. Turns out that is wrong.

He apparently didnt get a re-tune. The engine was just rebuilt this last winter after I snapped a crappy eagle cast crank..... and I assumed the tune was good for a while. I haven't beat on it much at all, mostly driving around town.

The motor is a 383 Stroker, 10.5:1 compression, GM847 cam, ported intake and heads, stick sized valves, 1.6RR and higher rate springs. 1 piece stock length pushrods.

Before the rebuild (no main engine specs were changed) I have a dyno sheet that shows it made 380 at the wheels through the auto trans and the A/F was decent all the way through the RPM range. I asked the previous owner, and he admitted that the tune wasnt changed after the 383 was put in, just checked.

I wonder how much power is still on the board? Its going to a proper dyno tuner in a couple weeks, just wondering what to expect. The car dives great right now, no hiccups, just a SEL for a rich condition if I cruise for too long on the interstate.

Thoughts?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's only one way to find out. Maybe a handful of HP, maybe 20 or 30.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

What crank did you replace it with? You left about 80 hp at least on the table with your build, and your not getting it all back with a tune. Your compression is 2 points too low.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Crank is now an Eagle 4340 forged, worked over by a well known builder. Also 4340 H-beam rods and Mahle forged pistons. I know a bump in compression would have made me more power, but that's what the bottle is for

All the clearances are set up for nitrous, but that won't go on until next year sometime.

I always thought there was a lot more to tuning than a decent A/F curve...... LOL Am I wrong? There's got to be a decent amount of power in there still, as I'm sure the timing events haven't been messed with, and a lot of things were changed.

Quick Reply: How bad is this?