LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Electric Water Pump Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you said your new to the lt1 and noone else has mentioned it, I can not stress enough the importance of directing that fluid away from your optispark distributer.. The biggest cause for failure in these problematic POS's is moisture.

Simple insurance against future opti problems is to plumb a fitting and a piece of rubber hose into that weep hole

Tryna save you a buck and a hassle
Old 10-13-2012, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The sensitivity of the opti to moisture is wildly and grossly overstated by stupid people on the internet and I suspect a huge number have been replaced simply because wetness was causing a missfire that would have gone away once dry LIKE ANY OTHER DISTRIBUTOR.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KFtransam
Since you said your new to the lt1 and noone else has mentioned it, I can not stress enough the importance of directing that fluid away from your optispark distributer.. The biggest cause for failure in these problematic POS's is moisture.

Simple insurance against future opti problems is to plumb a fitting and a piece of rubber hose into that weep hole

Tryna save you a buck and a hassle
in the OP's case it is a EWP with the "weep hole" at bottom of electric motor part (in front of stock WP housing) which is not the same location as stock mechanical pump that does **** on Opti when leeking. Mod for mechanical type to re-route drip is a way of diverting those leaking pumps away from opti

when anyone does do a EWP swap and has to gut a OEM pump...you will quickly see the $.02 POS part/seal that is inside it.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea the weep hole is minda far from the opti. A small amount of coolant landed on the top of the distrbutor but that was just getting flung on there from the fans blowing. Most of the drip landed on the serpentine belt and caused the belt to slip and my power steering would drop out temprarliy.

Quick Reply: Electric Water Pump Question