LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti LT1 timing issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Opti LT1 timing issue?

To begin, my front crank oil seal was leaking as well as the oil pan.

I removed :
***harmonic balancer - yoke and pulley
***water pump
***radiator
***timing cover - to replace gasket while i had it all open. ( did not move any timing chains)

Car will crank and run, but it is VERY choppy liked its cammed out now.

I have tried turning the crank and causing the splinded shaft coming out of timing into opti to move into different "O'Clocks" and some are better than others, but nothing is right yet.
I am getting frustrated with this setting, i cant find any good info how to make sure car is top dead center, what the position of that keyed splined shaft is.

I think i have it set up wrong, causing it to be out of time perhaps?

I need some experienced help plz, i am trying to fix our car and now it has been down for a week.

I've been playing with these issues for over a week, spending hours outside with it after 10 of work per day. Am i fell like i am now chasing my own tail in circles.

I will post pics of the car/opti/splined shaft.

****Pic of splined shaft coming OUT of timing cover GOES into back of Opti

***Pic of Splined shaft in relation to harmonic after i have been turning it trying to set it

***Pic of Opti on Car
Old 10-21-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the opti was installed correctly on the spline there's no timing adjustment to be made since the PCM controls the timing 100%. You seem to be heavily overcomplicating the issue.

Given your symptoms I'll just about guarantee that you have a plug wire backwards and/or switched.

Quick Reply: Opti LT1 timing issue?