LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Golen engine service???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golen engine service???

Hey guys!!! Has anybody heard any good or bad things about Golen Engine Service? I am thinking about buying the 396 LT1 competition short block from them, just doing some research to make sure they are not like Nu-Tek or Agostino racing....you know big rip offs. If anybody has any info let me know, thanks.

Nick
Old 04-13-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of them.. where are they located?
Old 04-13-2004, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Not in context but yeah, Nu-Tek is a rip! They were a bunch of losers. Low prices and shitty customer service. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

get ready for a story
Old 04-13-2004, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

i paid 6300 for a 383 sbc 450 hp motor back in 02,with forged pistons,rods the works.my brother put a deposit on the same for his 87 ta.after i got the motor (along with a tci th400 trans, alum ds,new guages for custom dash,built rear etc) we installed at my mechanics shop over a period of 2 weeks to get it all in and working.i specified to chris at golens engine svce that this was to be a blower setup with a weiand roots blower,hence my request for a cam and pistons and rods to support it..

once we fired up the motor,one of the head gaskets blew up....upon taking the blower,carb and heads off,we found that whoever painted the block (they offered me 3 color choices,i chose black) painted the surface where the gaskets go on the block,as well as paint spatter on the pushrods,and lifters,and we also found a crack in the block,small but neverthe less there....

so we cleaned the block surfaces that were painted or spattered on,lifters and push rods,and had to get new head gaskets out of pocket,they agreed to pay the labor,ill get to that in a sec....upon firing it up the next day,the water pump blew (edelbrock) WTF?? we took it off and found MORE F;KING paint on the surface,thus not allowing the gasket to mate properly between the block and the pump...this was also added to the bill now...

no more problems after this,but my bro was not having this and declined to purchase their motor that I had fronted a 500 deposit for...golen got pissed about that and told me that since my bro wasnt getting his motor,they wouldnt pay for the DEFECTS.in the end i got stuck with a 1300 bill for all this s.it and parts,plus a few weeks of downtime with no car,and had to fight them with my credit card company to get the deposit back to offset the bill.

Their workmaship is horrible,the service is questionable,and their aholes.i would NEVER reccomend anyone to them,or buy again from them.go elsewhere,or be ready for problems.i ended up selling the car due to so many headaches,and had about 9 emails from ebayers who werent willing to touch my car becuase GOLEN ENGINE SERVICE built the motor...hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Under criminal investigation for fraud

Originally Posted by nhodge93
Hey guys!!! Has anybody heard any good or bad things about Golen Engine Service? I am thinking about buying the 396 LT1 competition short block from them, just doing some research to make sure they are not like Nu-Tek or Agostino racing....you know big rip offs. If anybody has any info let me know, thanks.

Nick
Give us a call we can get you set up with a nice 396 stroker!

Thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GO WITH AP ENGINEERING!!! My motor is there right now getting worked, and the guys there are top notch to work with!!!

Good prices too.

Quick Reply: Golen engine service???