LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

low oil pressure issue (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low oil pressure issue (Help)

When the car is cold I have about 60psi but once it warms up it drops at idle right above the red line. On the freeway the oil pressure is 40 and never drops until you stop. I'm pretty sure the pick up fell off because if i stop hard i loose all oil pressure regardless if the car is cold or warm.

I have also noticed its pissing oil as well and havent been able to pin point it but im thinking its the intake manifold or timing cover. Could that have any impact on oil pressure? The car has 120k on it and there is no noise what so ever and car is running really strong.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easiest way too see if the pickup fell off is to drain the oil, tap the bottom of the pan with a rubber mallet, and see if you can hear the pickup bouncing on the pan.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely sounds like the pickup is off if the pressure dies under hard braking. Same thing happened to me recently but the funny thing is I unknowingly drove it 200 miles and made 8 dyno pulls all with no pump pickup. I noticed a pressure nose dive during braking before going to my tuner but thought nothing of it. Yikes but thank God the motor survived.

Quick Reply: low oil pressure issue (Help)