LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

In the process of doing my first opti

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012 | 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In the process of doing my first opti

To those of you who have done this multiple times (especially those with basic tools and maybe a driveway), give yourselves a pat on the back.

I knew it was going to suck, but with the 40* weather I was working in and my poor circulation- it sucked

I still have 2 more bolts to be able to remove the WP, and the harmonic balancer was giving me some trouble. I rented a puller from Azone, but the bolts are incorrect sizes to fit. I'll just grab a 2x4 piece and whack the hell out of it.

I do have one question: On the drivers side, you've got a bracket for what I think is the AC condenser (not sure). Its got 3 bolts that hold the part to the bracket, and 1 bolt that goes from the WP into a nut, through this bracket, and finally captured by a nut. It still doesn't want to go and its not held on by any other bolts, any trick with it?

Considering this MSD crapped out within 1.5 years of being installed- I'm hoping for better luck when I send it back to get overhauled

I was considering ordering a Delphi off rockauto today, but I figure at this point all of them are hit or miss. Whos not to say the Delphis are reman only now like the Delcos.
Old 12-01-2012 | 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Look in the cam removal guide on my website. It gives help on removing items on the front of the engine. You are probably describing the AIR pump and bracket. It has to be removed. The a/c condenser looks like a radiator and is in front of the actual radiator.
Old 12-02-2012 | 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I rented a puller from Azone, but the bolts are incorrect sizes to fit. I'll just grab a 2x4 piece and whack the hell out of it.
spray it down with some wd40 or pb blaster, its not really a part you want to be beating on lol.
Old 12-02-2012 | 12:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trilkb
spray it down with some wd40 or pb blaster, its not really a part you want to be beating on lol.
I did, I'll spray it down more before I try to remove it again. Maybe I'll get rent a 3 jaw puller from Azone if I can't get it off without going nuts with a 2x4.
Old 12-02-2012 | 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The puller is your best bet that's what I used and still needed a hammer to knock it off at the end. Not a ball point obviously
Old 12-03-2012 | 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Install tip:

When you've lined up the pin (on your cam) and the recess (on your Opti), place a Sharpie line on the top or the bottom (at the 6 or 12 o'clock position) of the metal disc on the Opti, then when you try and engage the Opti to the cam cover, if the metal disc on the Opti rotates (and it will rotate!), you'll be able to correct that rotation and easily 'mate' the Opti to the cam.

Good luck!

: )

Quick Reply: In the process of doing my first opti