LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

whats ur thoughts on this build

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 04:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If it pulls timing in warm weather but not in cold that sounds like a tuning issue. I had the same issue years ago. Better to tell the pcm to pull two degrees in hot weather than let it detonate and pull 5 on it's own.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah thats excautly what its doing cool nights it runs great and u see on the scan master at wot read 0

so ur saying it needs 2 degrees pulled outta it.

could detonation really hurt a forged motor?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Been awhile since I was in tunercat and I will be honest sometimes it is hard to figure out what table to use. Basically you want it to pull some more timing based on warmer IAT readings. Some "tuners" neglect little details like that. If it runs right in cool weather you wouldn't want to pull timing across the board.

Tunercat sells a complete OBD1 package for like $255 tuning datalogging and cable, now you can get things cheaper like tunerpro or there are cheaper cables but that is a nice all in one package. Then you can have a professional do major tuning changes, send him datalogs and you would still have the capability to make little tweaks as you gain understanding of the software. Little things like TCC lockup adjustments can improve the everyday driving and make you enjoy the car more.

Having a pro do the major tuning and then tweaking timing a degree here and there is what I do and it seems to have worked OK for me. When I bought this car I was afraid to change sparkplugs without supervision, these days I don't think twice about going inside the engine, do my own rearend gears, actually bought all the tranny tools so next tranny build I can hopefully do myself. Just take a slow and cautious approach and you can tech yourself all this stuff.

Quick Reply: whats ur thoughts on this build