LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti-Spark replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The stock damper does unbolt from the stock hub for opti swaps so that is NOT an argument for an aftermarket setup.

I would skip the piggyback pulleys, If you need a new damper the ASP underdrive seems reasonable and a stock cammed car MIGHT have some charging issues, anything that needs a raised idle like say a cam though will offset that.

The electric waterpumps are pushed as a magic bullet by many, fact is they free up power by moving LESS water than stock and their failure mode is more likely to be sudden and complete and result in overheating where the mechanical pump will usually weep for some time letting you know in advance before the coolant gets low enough to overheat. IMO leave them to the guys who want that last .1 second ET at the track. I say that as someone who has one. The difference is I actually take the time to UNDERSTAND things. If you buy a good stock type pump they are nice and reliable, inexpensive and if it fails parts stores have them on hand.

FWIW a bunch of us with documented quick cars turn bone stock optis to 7000rpm. Put some loctite on the rotor screws and let her rip.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Gentleman,

Thank you for the responses. No word yet on the status. Should be soon. Tick is doing the Header install now and swapping the plugs. Going to rule out the spark plugs and re-evaluate.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

OP

The majority would agree the AC Delco or Delphi would be the way to go for the Opti. If the shop is pulling your Opti to inspect the rotor and cap are wear items just like any distributor. The MSD cap/rotor replacement on a stock opti is recommended.

Quick Reply: Opti-Spark replacement options