LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 coolant leak.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013 | 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 coolant leak.

Have kind of a weird thing happening to my car that I've never really had happen before. It's a cam only 1995 Z. Car has a very tiny coolant leak from what looks like the base of the head on the back cylinder, it's difficult to see in there perfectly but as far as I can tell that's where the coolant is coming from. I put the cam in about 3 years ago when I did that I had the heads off and rebuilt along with new headgaskets and arp head bolts covered in sealant. Car is never low on coolant but will leave a tiny spot of coolant on the ground. Never overheats and does not behave like its burning any coolant. Just curious as to if headgaskets ever leak outside of the motor and why?? I've put maybe 500 miles on it in 3 years after the cam and heads were done. Any input would be very appreciated. Thank you.
Old 01-06-2013 | 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes it's possible for coolant to leak anywhere really. If you know that it's leaking there then you'll have to just break it down and change the head gaskets. If you aren't sure that's where it is leaking from then you may want to do a system pressure test.
Old 01-06-2013 | 08:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. Pressure test. It will mostl likely answer ur question.
Old 01-07-2013 | 08:39 AM
Village Troll
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Received 546 Likes on 395 Posts

Pressure test is the best way to find a leak. Reason being is waiting for the system to pressurize once the engine is at operating temp coolant can evaporate and of course it's a little hot to be feeling around for the leak. For starters, rent a pressure tester and put no more than 18psi in the system. If that is your only leak there may not be a great variance on the needle, but coolant will start leaking out. With the engine cold you can then feel around where you think it's coming from. Start with the banjo bolts for the steam pipe on the back of the heads.

Quick Reply: Lt1 coolant leak.